High definition channels set to gain in popularity: Dish TV

me_saket

Reaction score
High definition channels set to gain in popularity: Dish TV

HD television households will touch 5 million by Dec

Hyderabad, May 18:

Direct-to-home services provider Dish TV sees the high definition television households to touch 5 million by December, with the addition of about 2.5 million during the year.

Salil Kapoor, Chief Operating Officer, Dish TV, said the pace of adoption of HD television panels and its services is accelerating as discerning customers opt for them due to enhanced viewing experience.

During his visit to Hyderabad for a promotional event with Indian Premier League team Kolkata Knight Riders and its players, Jaques Kallis, Sunil Narine and Yusuf Pathan, he told Business Line, “All indicators point towards addition of about 2.5 million new HD TVs by December. They, in turn, are expected to subscribe to high definition services.”

A HD services box with a recording facility is being offered for around Rs 3,000 by Dish TV making it attractive for buyers.

Currently, Dish TV offers 25 high definition channels and 17 services, the largest in the country's DTH industry. When the HD services were offered there were only two channels. As more customers take to high definition TVs, more channels will offer these services, he explained.

Outlining some trends, he said some channels are offering advertisement-free HD services which discerning viewers prefer be it for sports, movies and other entertainment channels.

Even the traditional way of watching TV is changing as some viewers do not want to or are unable to watch a programme at the appointed time due to their schedules. Instead, they are opting to record and watch later. The HD services come for Rs 400-425 a month.

Digitisation drive

Referring to the ongoing digitisation drive, he said it is helping to move from the analog to digital platform with a choice of cable digital and DTH.

As more subscribers join digital platforms, the cost of services is likely to go up as there will be more declarations leading to taxes.

Kapoor said the country has 230 million homes, 148 million TV households, which includes 80 million cable and satellite subscribers. The DTH subscriber base has crossed 55 million wherein Dish TV has 14.7 million subscribers.

source source

baby tv and nat geo music are not hd channels on dish tv as i have told all members much earlier but everybody was not ready to believe aand were fighting with me, these 2 chs are sd chs being telecasted in 16:9 aspect ratio as their source feed is hd which is being demodulated to standard definition by dish tv and even videocon d2h teecasts baby tv in 16:9 aspect ratio

also in the article 2.5 million are the total number of people having hd tv in India and 5 million is the prospective number of people who will have hd tv by end of this year, these figures are not number of hd subscribers of dish tv as some other forums are misinforming people

a

dino29 said:
baby tv and nat geo music are not hd channels on dish tv as i have told all members much earlier but everybody was not ready to believe aand were fighting with me, these 2 chs are sd chs being telecasted in 16:9 aspect ratio as their source feed is hd which is being demodulated to standard definition by dish tv and even videocon d2h teecasts baby tv in 16:9 aspect ratio

also in the article 2.5 million are the total number of people having hd tv in India and 5 million is the prospective number of people who will have hd tv by end of this year, these figures are not number of hd subscribers of dish tv as some other forums are misinforming people

a

List of HD channels in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia says that Baby TV and Nat Geo Music are 100% HD.
This page is also regularly updated.

dino29 said:

a

Is Baby TV and nat geo music not available in sd ??

Suman Sahu said:
dino29 said:

a

Is Baby TV and nat geo music not available in sd ??

Yes dear suman, few months back these channels shifted to just HD transmission, so now whichever operator carries channels like baby tv, nat geo music, history tv 18, movies now and some others in standard definition format, these are just hd feed demodulated to standard definition

They call it a recorder at 3000 rs, but I don't know how to record with single tuner recorder. I am trying in adtv hd+ or had tried in dish tru hd as well. But one can record and watch same channel only. Now if i am watching then why would i record. And if i am recording then i would not be able to change the channel for normal viewing.

Not sure on baby tv, but to my eyes i can see that natgeo music is in hd. There is clear difference between movies now hd and sd, but natgeo hd does not appear like movies now sd when i compare. Yes baby tv sd even in d2h appears like hd as far as clarity is concerned. Not sure if in dish tv they are in hd or sd but they appear really crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock