Higher import duty on STBs will help domestic manufacturers

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
Digitization dominated the FICCI-Frames 2013 media and entertainment industry conference that concluded in Mumbai March 14.

India is presently implementing the largest digitization drive in the world.

The first phase had covered Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.

The forthcoming March 31, 2013 deadline covers 38 cities with a million-plus population each.

The remaining cities will be digitized by September 30, 2014 and the rest of India by December 31, 2014.

I&B minister Manish Tewari said via video link from the capital that digitization will ensure transparency and will benefit all stakeholders in the long run.

He claimed that the raised import duty levied on set top boxes in Budget 2013 will not set back the digitization process but will provide an opportunity to domestic manufacturers to begin production.

At present STBs are imported. I&B secretary Uday Kumar Varma said that a review undertaken last week showed that approximately 60% digitization has taken place in Phase II with Ahmedabad, Amritsar and Ludhiana reporting near-complete switch-over.

He expressed confidence that the remaining 40% would be complete by the March 31 deadline.

Higher import duty on set-top boxes will help domestic manufacturers, says I&B minister - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock