• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,137

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Akshay Kumar, 40-something, has it all — name, fame, looks, and the good life. One of the best-looking guys in Bollywood, the grey in his sideburns makes him more attractive than ever. Career-wise, Akki is in a happy place. He's got two mega-grossers — Housefull-2 and Rowdy Rathore in the 100 cr club, and the best part is, he's also got the hunger to better that record.

The morning I meet him, he is dressed in a safari suit selling real estate on the sets of a commercial as early as 8 am in a far-flung suburban studio in Mumbai. "Look," he says, "Superstardom hardly means that I put up my feet and relax. It actually means I've got to work harder than before.'' Point noted. We talk some more. Excerpts of our conversation:

Twenty-odd years in films, how come you are still hungry for success?
I need you to paraphrase that question. I'm not hungry for success. I am only hungry for good work and that is how it is with most superstars. Every day I tell myself how fortunate I am to be where I am. Five thousand strugglers from various parts of the country board a train to Mumbai each month. Out of this lot, almost 3,000 go back at some point because they are unable to make it. And 1,999-odd guys just get lost in the melee. Only one manages to break through the clutter. In other words, those of us, who do not have the right pedigree in Bollywood, and who have still managed to make a mark, are seriously lucky. And I remind myself each day that I must thank someone up there for looking out for me, and getting me this far.

A decade ago, you had casually remarked that three Khans and one Kumar rule Bollywood. Nothing much has changed in the pecking order, has it?
You know that I had joked about it. It is true that the three Khans (Aamir, Shah Rukh and Salman) and one Kumar (Akshay) still have it good. Before we go any further, I must add that you can add a Roshan (Hrithik), a Devgn (Ajay) and a Kapoor (Ranbir) also to your top list. However, the important point here is that all of us — who have a good success ratio — have worked really hard to be where we are. And I've always maintained that the luck factor also helps. It is about being at the right place at the right time.

After a string of flops between 2008 and 2011; did you feel vindicated when two of your films crossed the 100 cr-mark?
Honestly there is no sense of vindication. When you taste super-success after tasting super-failure, there is huge relief. I always joke that in the year when I had 8x10 Tasveer; Salman had Veer. In other words, both of us had flops. Today, both of us have moved forward. No actor can escape hits and flops. It's the way the business runs. Also, this 100 cr club will not be the most coveted thing in 2013 because everyone will be vying to be in the 300 cr club. The number of theatres and screens in India and overseas are constantly on the rise... naturally, business will increase three-fold.

Tell me, are any of the Khans — SRK, Salman or Aamir — your close friends?
Again, the answer is yes and no. We are cordial when we meet. But we hardly meet socially.

You aren't a social bird, right?
You can say that again. I hate partying. If I'm forced to go to a party or a social gathering, I go in at 9.30 and leave at 10 pm. My wife Twinkle (Tina) is also similar. When we are entertaining at home, Tina often goes to sleep by around midnight. And, I'm the one who is seeing the guests off.

People say money makes Akshay's world go round. Is that right?
It is wrong. I know the economics of the film business. I know about real-estate, and I'm also knowledgeable about the Sensex. But that hardly means I'm a money-minded guy. I have a head for numbers and I don't think that is anything to be ashamed of. However, I do not over-charge. In fact I produce all my films in partnership with a corporation or an independent producer. I have said this 10 times before and I repeat — on paper my fee for a film is zero because I don't charge remuneration, like some actors do. I wait for the entire project to be made, check out the profitability and then take a percentage of what is due to me as a producer.

There are many actors/filmmakers fighting title wars in Bollywood. How come you gave Ajay Devgn the title Son of Sardaar without a fuss?
Yaar, we are all from the same industry. If we aren't gracious with each other, who else will be. Ajay asked me for the title because it was appropriate for his film, and I gave it without a second thought. I have given Ajay just the title of Son Of Sardaar, not a piece of land (laughs).

Besides your son Aarav, do you have any other indulgence in your personal life?
Frankly, I have no indulgences, so to speak, except Aarav. I'm a family-oriented guy. Till Aarav was born, I didn't even take a weekly off. After my son's birth, I started taking half-a-day off on Saturdays, and I have kept my Sundays reserved for him. I also take three to four vacations with Tina and Aarav every year. Sometimes we get my mother and her (Twinkle's) mother to join us. Now we have one more baby on the way. I cannot tell you how excited I am at the thought of having another addition to the family. I think I will start taking three days off each week. A day-and-a-half dedicated to Aarav; and a day-and-a-half for the newborn.

I’m not hungry for success: Akshay Kumar - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock