Discussion In which year did you got your first DTH/Cable connections?

I remember it was 1992, when our local area cable operator came to our house and said we would get more channels than what we got through our antenna which was only DD-1. He put another cable wire with a cable socket and connected it to the back of our TV and removed the antenna socket. The price was 75/ month. We used to get international channels like Prime sports, BBC, Star TV which was a English GEC(before it became star plus), ZEE tv, Jain TV and ATN. 6 channels that's it and it was whole new world from Doordarshan. If you had to watch cricket matches on DD, you had to remove the cable socket and replug the DD socket from the antenna. The same cable operators gradually ugraded and started to give more channels on the S-band and hyper band. Our Videocon TV didn't have that capacity and had to install those extra bands on our TV from a service person. Wow we used to get 45-50 channels around 1997. I remember we used to keep the most frequently watched channels in the first 10-15 channels on the TV.
Back then we could tune the TV receiver and decide on which channel number we kept or stored a particular TV channel. Sports and regional GEC we're always on the first list.
By early 2000s the cable operators upgraded.
By 2007 we got local cable set top boxes by DEN and then the same cable operator ugraded to Siti. We used to get 800 channels for Rs 250/-.
Until the new stupid rule of Trai came about and ruined everything where you had to buy packages . This may have benefitted those on dth but it was a big blow to those on local cable networks where there was no concept of any packages and charges were also minimal.
Now the local cable operator has upgraded to HD , same cable operator for the past 25 years.

It was January month of 2020 when corona is about to enter in our lives. We were using hathway cable services from 2011 to 2019.It was a great experience but in november 2019, the STB UI started to lag very badly and there was frequent no signal whether its raining or not and my family decided to opt out from cable. after one month of thinking (Soch vichaar) we decided to take new connection from Tata Sky. We ordered on 30th December and asked them to install on 3rd January 2020 because we were out of town. On 3rd January, technician came at 11am and installed new connection. Now after 2 years, fully satisfied with the services and no complaints.

Bro What made you to switch from Tata Play to ADTV?
Analogue Cable - 1998-2011
Siti Cable(Digital) - 2011-2017
Tata Play - 2017-2022
ADTV - 2022 to Present

Had a small stint with Hathway for 2 months in 2019 and had such a bad experience that I wouldn't count that

Story of watching tv starts from 90s where we have no TV in our home.So we use to visit neighbours house to watch TV.Watched mostly Sunday evening filims and music program airing filim songs in the Friday evenings those days in a 20 inch b/w tv of the neighbors house and there was only 2channels at that time DD1 and DD2.and the regional transmission limited for few hours in the evenings(DDK -TVM -Malayalam transmission)/Cricket matches also watched those times.In the year 1999 we bought a colour television 21 inch and connected to Analoge anteena and started watching DD channels.In those days eagerly waited for weekends to watch Sakthimaan and Shakalaka bhoom bhoom.In 2005 DD Direct plus is installed and started getting more channels with good PQ.Only one Malayalam channel were in DD direct in the beginning later it turned to 3 channels and also favourites Tamil GEC like SunTv and Jaya Tv was also in DD direct at that time.Once for a service the DD direct technician came to our house and said to my Dad that if you change the anteena to a 6 feet one you will get All Malayalam regional channels free.Then my dad said yes and he changed the antenna to 6 feet dish with multi LNB set up and it happened in 2006.We are very happy as we started getting all Malayalam and Tamil Regional channels for free.But later in 2008 top Malayalam GECs moved to Pay channel mode.Then we installed Big tv at that year to get those channels.In 2011 changed big tv stb to HD |DVR .It was really a wonderful experience that we can record rewind pause live tv.In 2014 when the DVR got faulty we shifted to Tatasky + HD and and also changed TV to an LED one.Still now using Tataplay + and very happy with that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock