Discussion Is BARC still stuck with Traditional Tv ratings ?

• Thread starter Stvnn
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 12
  • Views: Views 1,945

What data should BARC give considering content consumption in Post-Covid Era ?

• Total voters

Stvnn

Contributor
Reaction score
DDF members, I would ask you all how would you like to get viewership data according to your consumption.

Post COVID many of us have shifted to OTTs for our daily dose of entertainment, news, sports, etc. But still BARC, the ratings research organization of India, sticks to the sampling method of few thousand households, for a total of more than million households in the country.
The samples only count Traditional Tv ratings & not the OTT data.

Prominent example of this non-upgradation of methods can be seen in Trps of Sony Entertainment Television, flagship channels of Culver Max Entertainment. While Sony's fiction performs well in Online trp, it's no-where seen in Trps of BARC.

So I would like to know your views about this topic..

Reactions: HRP
The other prominent issues of BARC include:
1. Landing Channel Trp scandal
2. Amount of BARC boxes
3. Methodology of measurement

On the other hand, Dth/MSOs can also provide viewership data from thier respective platforms. As mostly each provider has smart boxes, hybrid data can be obtained. The data will be precise and also will help broadcaster to analyse thier position, reach, monetization on respective platform. AI developed modern technologies, minute viewership can be the key features.
This method is notably adopted by UK service provider, Sky.

Connected+Traditional ratings system is need of the hour, as many people are shifting to hybrid model. This is also evident from Tata Play's BINGE Combo packs. Cross-screen measurement (Tv, Pc, Mobile, Tabs, etc.) will improve advertising options too.
News channels are consumed more digitally as they are available too. But as BARC doesn't give hybrid ratings it affects thier Trps & Ad revenue too.

BARC can take an example from BARB, UK Organization for measuring data. It has recently adopted hybrid model.
" In an exclusive preview of the type of new data that is now available, BARB can reveal the most-watched programmes across all broadcast channels and streaming services in October 2021 (1). This shows that Netflix’s Squid Game ranked in tenth place with 5.774m viewers, after BBC 1’s Strictly Come Dancing (10.435m), Channel 4’s The Great British Bake Off (8.889m) and ITV’s The Larkins (6.580m) in the top three spots respectively. "

HD TVs are also part of viewership data, but hardly it's seen because, amount of HD subscribers are less & importantly HD is treated as separate channel, rather than simulcast of SD.
BARC needs to give collective data of SD & HD versions of same channel as everything is simulcasted except sometimes. This will encourage broadcaster to provide HD offerings as it just adds to thier ratings.

See below image of BARB ratings, which gives SD + HD combined data
n55TzgP.jpg

Similar concerns are given by ABP Network CEO, Avinash Pandey.

Last edited:
Very true. BARC need change they are calculating the TV audience data whereas many title including news are watch among OTT platforms.

Very true. BARC need change they are calculating the TV audience data whereas many title including news are watch among OTT platforms.
News would be the most difficult thing to calculate as news is available on respective on their respective apps and sites as well.

We all know news broadcasters have divided themselves into 2 groups, NBF & NBDA. Surprisingly, NBF channels have mostly came on top (Republic, TV9, etc.).
NBDA channels include NDTV, News18, etc.)

Yes until and unless NDTV gains to number one spot till then we will not find barc rating
Genuine
Right now Live feed of NDTV India on YouTube is watched by 488 people whereas Aaj Tak by 11K and ABP News by 1.2K

Sample rating system itself is a scam.A country with 800M TV viewers and only 14k people measured . Not even 1%. That's called dumness and not numbers.
Even with 20% sample we find difficulty to match population parameters and they are achieving with less than 1%. Should I clap for them or slap myself for believing them.

DDF members, I would ask you all how would you like to get viewership data according to your consumption.

Post COVID many of us have shifted to OTTs for our daily dose of entertainment, news, sports, etc. But still BARC, the ratings research organization of India, sticks to the sampling method of few thousand households, for a total of more than million households in the country.
The samples only count Traditional Tv ratings & not the OTT data.

Prominent example of this non-upgradation of methods can be seen in Trps of Sony Entertainment Television, flagship channels of Culver Max Entertainment. While Sony's fiction performs well in Online trp, it's no-where seen in Trps of BARC.

So I would like to know your views about this topic..

I will say currently they only need to measure traditional tv's ratings & for OTT & connected tv they should create separate agency (EKAM which is in the works from so many yrs).

U cant mixup tradtional tv with both other media's as their reach, advertisers, sponsor everything is different.

For that matter they need to calculate tv & digital viewership separately otherwise advertisers will gets confused. Broadcasters will claim higher ad rates on tv with help of ott viewership and viceversa.

@bold secondly till now there is no such things as Online trp (that term is itself wrong considering trp itself stand for television ratings points). Online trp is scam created by twitter tv portals who are not evn official sites or anything. Till now there is no digital viewership agency so how do they evn calculate so called online trps??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock