Discussion Is it right time for broadcasters to launch 4K TV channels?

Should broadcasters start offering 4K channels now in 2020?

• Total voters

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
We are a unique country. Most of us have skipped the 3rd generation of mobile network. We directly upgraded from 2G to 4G. Market is filled with affordable 4K TVs and boxes as compared to 2015 when we indeed had temporary 4K channels. No broadcasters till date has given us a full HD channel. Can they skip 1080p for 4K?

Do you think there is enough demand from viewers for 4K channels now? Or are we satisfied with 4K content from streaming services.

If you vote for Yes. Make sure to highlight which channels you want to enjoy in 4K.

4K will be mostly through OTT apps. Even that is not working for now. Hotstar has no 4K content ( that I know of ). Then there is Amazon Prime, SonyLiv, Zee, AltBalaji and so on. I am not sure anything other than Netflix is giving 4K.

Local movie DVDs when I went to buy has PAL or NTSC on it. ie, not even 720p ( right ? ). YouTube has some good 4K content, that is all we have got in the 4K sector for now.

Channels might not skip to 4K for now. Too much investment. Xiaomi, the market leader in smart TVs in India sold less than 20 lakh (?) 4K TVs. TV subscriber base in India is very high. Channels won't change themselves to cater to those small bunch of rich 4K TV owners. They need too much investment for a very thin user base. 4K is being future-ready in India. Be happy with OTT apps for now.

Television industry has seen big change last year through tariff order and then this year also with amendments in that order. Broadcasters are telling that they may have to shutdown some channels. 4K might be need for some customers but I don't think that broadcasters will provide any 4K channel in India at least this year.

TV is a dying niche after Jio launched 4G ( free ). Everyone ( who can afford ) got themselves a YouTube phone.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock