Jai pins hope on 'Naveena Saraswathi Sabatham'

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
Jai is pinning a lot of hope on his upcoming Naveena Saraswathi Sabatham (NSS). Describing the film as a roller-coaster comedy, he says that it has all the elements that youngsters connect with. In a chat with Times of India, the actor tells why...

How did you land NSS?
Director Chandru narrated the story to me for an hour and I was mostly in splits. The raw comedy in the script attracted me and I was sure that it would click with audiences, especially youngsters. In fact, there are a few dialogues that I was hesitant to deliver, wondering if it would go down well with family audiences, but we proceeded because that's how the character I play would speak. And, when I realized that AGS was involved in the production, I knew it would shape up as a big film.

The storyline of the film — about a bunch of guys going to Bangkok for a bachelor party — sounds a lot like the Hollywood film The Hangover...
(Laughs) Didn't we include a dialogue in the trailer itself to say that it's not? This film will have the kind of elements that audiences enjoyed while watching The Hangover.

Filming in Bangkok should've been a lot of fun...
We have shot most of the second half in an island off Malayasia. While we were busy with the shoot from morning to evening, late evenings were reserved for fun and parties. However, we ensured that it was not a case of all fun and no work — we actually finished the proposed 30-day schedule in about 22 days itself.

You seem to be doing a lot of comedy subjects...
Oh yes. I try to pick up films that have a lot of comedy elements, at least in the first half. However, I look for message-driven comedy. My Engaeyum Eppothum had some funny dialogues as well, but the film ended with a strong message. That will be the case with NSS as well, which will include a message for youngsters of today. I insist that comedy should not be based on just counter dialogues, but also include scope for performance.

Why this love for comedy, and not for romance and action?
When I came into the industry, all top stars told me that I should be able to score in comedy to sustain here. At the end of the day, cinema is entertainment and people come to the theatres to have a good time. We could tell them a full-fledged love story, but they themselves might be in love and there's no way we can narrate a love story that's more poignant than theirs. That's perhaps why comedy has always worked at the box office.

Naveena Saraswathi Sabatham, produced by Kalpathi S Aghoram, Kalpathi S Ganesh and Kalpathi S Suresh of AGS Entertainment, will release on November 29.

Jai pins hope on 'Naveena Saraswathi Sabatham' - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock