Japanese film ‘Stand By Me Doraemon’ tops weekend box office in China

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,229

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
Japanese animation film ‘Stand By Me Doraemon’ has topped the weekend box office charts in China by grossing over $38 million in a span of four days.

The movie toppled ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ and topped the Chinese box office over the weekend. ‘Stand By Me Doraemon’ is the first Japanese movie shown in China in nearly three years.

The last Japanese film to be released in the country was ‘Ultraman’ in July 2012. ‘Stand By Me Doraemon’, a 3D movie, was released in theatres across China last Thursday.

It was the first Japanese movie shown in China after the Japanese government effectively nationalised the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea in September 2012, touching off strong reactions among both the Chinese leadership and public.

Along with the continuing performance of Indian comedy drama ‘PK’, the success of ‘Doraemon’ is a triumph for a degree of diversity in Chinese theatres, states Variety.

The box office turnover was very low in China last week, with only Doraemon taking over $5 million in the seven-day period.

‘Doraemon’, a chubby cat robot with a magical pocket, is hugely popular in China, and the return of the character is believed to reflect warming relations between the world’s second- and third-biggest economies.

The film reportedly broke the previous single-day record for animation films, held by the US movie ‘Kung Fu Panda 2’.

Read more at: 

http://www.televisionpost.com/news/japanese-film-stand-by-me-doraemon-tops-weekend-box-office-in-china/

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock