'Jessica Jones' Renewed for Second Season at Netflix

ABCDEFGH

Reaction score
'Jessica Jones' Renewed for Second Season at Netflix

jessicajones_s1_012_h.jpg

The Marvel drama premiered in November to rave reviews.

To no surprise, Jessica Jones will be back at Netflix.

The streaming service announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour that the Marvel drama will return for a second season.

Premiering in November to rave reviews, the drama is the second of five planned Marvel dramas for Netflix. It joins Daredevil (previously renewed for season two) as well as the upcoming Luke Cage, Iron Fist and mash-up miniseries The Defenders. News also leaked Saturday that the streamer is eyeing a Daredevil spinoff of The Punisher featuring Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead) as the title character. (Bernthal makes his Daredevil debut in season two, bowing in March.)

A nominee at Sunday's Critics' Choice Awards for leading lady Krysten Ritter, the series is executive produced by showrunner Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight, Dexter) and Liz Friedman (Elementary). Marvel's Jeph Loeb oversees for the comic book powerhouse.

While Netflix continues to keep its ratings under wraps, NBC revealed startup tech firm Symphony's recent sample that ranked Jessica Jones as Netflix's most-watched series from September-December and found that Jessica Jones was "viewed" by an average of 4.8 million total viewers in the adults 18-49 demographic. (Worth noting that viewership is measured by an average of six minutes of audio sound.)

In terms of timing for season two, which will consist of 13 episodes, Netflix has not yet announced when it will premiere. When asked Sunday, Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said, "The Defenders production will really determine" season start dates for other Marvel series like Jessica Jones as well as Daredevil, which launches its second season on March 18.

Showrunner Rosenberg told THR at the top of the freshman run that she hopes it would arrive before The Defenders.

"There certainly is storytelling wise. The question becomes is there actual time? There are logistics involved, because Defenders has to shoot by a certain time, contractually," she said. "Actually, I'm not sure; I'm not at all involved in those conversations, much to my dismay. The first question is whether or not we will even get a second season. The second question is, if so, when? Will it be before The Defenders or after? I'd certainly love it to be before but there are things that play into that — time, availability."

'Jessica Jones' Renewed for Second Season at Netflix - Hollywood Reporter

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock