Discussion Lightning strike

deemash

Reaction score
Dear forum members,

Last Sunday, heavy thunder and lightning was there in our area. The never expected thing happened. I am using Airtel DTH. The lightning hit the dish and the surge came in to my house via the cable and destroyed the DTH set top box which in turn burnt my Sony TV mother board and Home theatre.

Gone is gone. I want to avoid this thing in the future. What is the best way to do grounding for the Dish. I do not have a iron pipe running on my terrace. I have some PVC pipes and a plastic water tank. How do I get earthing done ? Airtel DTH technicians doesn't even talk about this..

Or is there any service provider available whose dish does not attract lightning?

Every time this may not be possible. So a permanent solution will be really helpful.

Pray to god that he protects from thunder or lightning strike, no other permanent solution in this world. Chant mantras during tense times, if done with a pure conscious it surely works better than what materialistic things can do :)

best way to protect, always disconnect the coaxial cable from dish to stb during rainy seasons. even if u did earthing some damage may occur to stb .

Last edited:
No permanent solution for that ....because the magnitude of that surge is quite high and not avoided completely even by grounding the dish antenna as LNB always in floating condition wrt dish, the best way is to disconnect LNB cable to receiver.....or install a lightning arrestor nearby to dish and properly ground it

Can we use coaxial to ofc connector and after some distance ofc to coaxial connector and then to set top box?

I can disconnect the cable, BUT the problem is.... the cable from DTH is coming thru switch boards. So it burnt out few switch boards as well in the process of transferring the surge from dish to STB.

I guess the old way is good where we drop the co-axial cable from terrace via outside home and get it inside thru some window to STB. That might be safe as the surge will only burn the co-axial cable and NOT the entire house :)

What you guys say. At your homes, how is the cable running from Dish to STB?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock