Discussion Lightning strike

You can provide a separate ground connection to your Dish, if the lightning strikes, the electricity will like to follow path of least resistance and choose your installed ground instead of using your coaxial cable. Still, only a preventive measure and does not guarantee protection.

The problem with lightning strikes is their sheer power that can destroy a lot. Once year back, there was a lightning hit a kilometer or so from our house, still the inverter, TV and multiple small bulbs got toasted. You can only pray in these circumstances.

I can disconnect the cable, BUT the problem is.... the cable from DTH is coming thru switch boards. So it burnt out few switch boards as well in the process of transferring the surge from dish to STB.

I guess the old way is good where we drop the co-axial cable from terrace via outside home and get it inside thru some window to STB. That might be safe as the surge will only burn the co-axial cable and NOT the entire house :)

What you guys say. At your homes, how is the cable running from Dish to STB?
I am having the same system in my home, so i unplug everything for 20-30 mins if there is heavy thunder and lightning

Dear homer the method you suggest is theoretically seems to be good solution , but from practical point of view that is not viable as it increase the overall cost and complexity of the setup further insertion/ conversion loss may also arise ........further if such convertor is available in market to handle that much bandwith than one can use that is regions where severity of lightning is common.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock