Metro Cable TV Operators' Stir Against Rise in Subscription Fee.

HOUSE-MD

Contributor
Reaction score
CHENNAI: Over 200 members of the Chennai Metro DAS Cable TV Operators Association staged a protest in the city on Saturday against Arasu Cable TV corporation ( ACTV) for the steep hike in subscription coercion to buy set-top boxes without a digital license.

“Earlier, they charged `2,000 and now the online subscription charges have gone up to `8,000,” said B Karunanidhi, Association President. The protest was intended to draw the attention of the Chief Minister, he added.

Accusing the ACTV of overpricing and drastically increasing the lamp post rent, he said now they were being demanded to pay `34,400 from a mere `9,600 earlier. Officials have gone to the extent of cutting the wires complicating the problems, Krishnakumar, Association Secretary said.

Further, the operators are up in arms against ACTV officials coercing them to purchase digital set-top boxes even without a license from the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The officials are also allowing some others to illegally use the connections availed by these operators and make the channels available to customers at a lower cost, Karunanidhi said. Other demands of the operators include raising the monthly subscription of `70 to match the TRAI’s standard rate of `150.

==

Ref: Metro Cable TV Operators' Stir Against Rise in Subscription Fee -The New Indian Express

Arasu has to come to Chennai with or without an STB, let others stay as they wish and let the people subscribe to whom they wish.

Accusing the ACTV of overpricing and drastically increasing the lamp post rent, he said now they were being demanded to pay `34,400 from a mere `9,600 earlier. Officials have gone to the extent of cutting the wires complicating the problems.

LCO's own cable wires so they don't seem to permit Arasu in Chennai, Govt owns these lamp posts so they hike the prices.

"As you sow so shall you reap."

I would be so glad if Arasu just supplies subscription forms to all homes and connects to those who wants to subscribe overnight. Why should we the people... and the consumer have the right to choose whom to subscribe to? Why should someone reserve the right to deny me my basic rights?

I'm ready to pay even upto Rs 150 if Arasu can give me access to most pay channels in viewable quality (70 Channels) even if it is in the analogue mode.

TN LCOs can't go back to SCV..
Even TCCL (formed by a set of LCOs) unable to take charge either..
So Arasu is the only destination for LCOs & people of TN..

If LCOs want to fix price based on TRAI mandatory, then 90% of TV Viewers would go for DTH..

Today 66 lakhs household TVs are using Arasu cable..Its only because of lowest subscription fee (less than 100Rs)..

Good service at lower cost is the only key for LCOs to retain their customers..

aravindan said:
TN LCOs can't go back to SCV..
Even TCCL (formed by a set of LCOs) unable to take charge either..
So Arasu is the only destination for LCOs & people of TN..

But Chennai LCO's seem to be stubborn with their Choice on MSO as not even a small change seems to happen in the near future.

aravindan said:
If LCOs want to fix price based on TRAI mandatory, then 90% of TV Viewers would go for DTH..

Yes, if LCO want Rs 150 as the minimum fare then why should people stick to local cable and not move to DTH that can offer their selected pay channels well with Rs 200 minus the poor service that happens in local cable?

aravindan said:
Today 66 lakhs household TVs are using Arasu cable..Its only because of lowest subscription fee (less than 100Rs)..
Good service at lower cost is the only key for LCOs to retain their customers..

Yes, Rs 70 as the basic package is the right one.

TRAI says upto 100 channels the fare should be at Rs 100 while Arasu gives at Rs 70. So the price Arasu has kept seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock