Monitor cable TV content, states told

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
The Centre, particularly the information and broadcasting ministry, is trying to set up a system to keep tabs on cable-linked content on television channels across India. The Centre has asked all states to form committees at state and district levels to monitor the content available on cable networks.

In a recent letter to state governments, I&B minister of state Prakash Javadekar said the Centre wanted these committees to ensure compliance with the Cable TV Network (Regulation) Act 1995, and the rules framed under it.

The I&B ministry had already notified district collectors, subdivisional magistrates and commissioners of states as authorised officers to take action where a violation is noticed. “Unless these committees are constituted, it will be difficult for the state government to implement the provisions and rules of the Cable Act,” Mr Javadekar said.

There are a large number of states that have reportedly not set up these committees yet. For instance, Nutan Guha Biswas, principal secretary to Delhi’s lieutenant-governor, admitted that such committees had not been set up in Delhi NCT. “I found out from the home department that the excise department is the nodal department for setting up these monitoring committees. (But) it seems the committees were never constituted,” Ms Biswas said in a letter.

Monitor cable TV content, states told | The Asian Age

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock