More opt for cable services than DTH

• Thread starter Sarkar
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 13
  • Views: Views 1,828

Sarkar

Contributor
Reaction score
KOLHAPUR: Going against the state-wide trend of decline in cable television services, the district has reported higher number of people opting for cable services than direct-to-home (DTH). Service providers said personal communication with customers has played an important role in continuing demand for cable services.

For the last two years, the number of DTH users has been on a decline while the number of people using cable services has gone up. This fiscal, the district has reported 47,331 DTH users against the 53,293 users in 2014. The district had 54,415 DTH users registered in 2013.

DTH users have to navigate through customer care numbers in case of any queries or complaints instead of the direct connect with cable operators. Customers prefer to call their cable operator to seek immediate solution in case of disruption of service or telecasting problems.

Sujit Patil, an expert in the DTH business, said cable operators have started providing set top box. The same person offers after sales services as well. Hence, there is a personal communication and bond with the customers.

The second factor is the payment of the bills. The local cable service provider can offer some relaxation to make the payment unlike the DTH operators.

Yashoraj Patil, head of operations of B News, a local cable operator, said, "The cost to the service plays a major role in this business. The cable service charges are much lower than that of DTH services and the customer base in Kolhapur is chiefly looking for economical service, rather than quality channels which are mostly in non-Marathi language."

He added, "The DTH customers in the district are either elite or non-Marathi communities. They have an option of selecting the channels from their preferred language."

Vinayak Dhawde, a cable customer, said, "I always find cable service more reliable. I can contact them if I have any query with the particular channel or service. They are more efficient. With the DTH operators, waiting on phone line is time consuming."

Assistant entertainment tax officer N N Revdekar at district collector said, "The department has reported collection of Rs 7.95 crore as against the target of Rs 10.50 crore this fiscal. The gap is mainly due to the waiver to some single screen theatres in the districts. Marathi movies are also exempted from some taxes by the state government."

He added that there is no other way to meet the gap in the tax collection. They will submit the details of tax collection to the government accordingly.

More opt for cable services than DTH - The Times of India

JitendraKumar said:
Yeah MSO's cheaper then DTH. But in My Area No MSO available.

:skd
U mean there is no cable operator in ur area :huh

Prateek Marwadi said:
cable operator - DAS or non DAS

cable operator ll definitely b available but analogue cable r there.

oh, then it's same in my area also, only analog cable :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock