MSOs and LCOs to lose License if they fail to provide data on Digitization: I&B

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Reaction score
A report published in Business Standard states that, the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry has released new cable rules which allows the ministry to cancel the licences of the multi-system operators (MSOs) and local cable operators (LCOs) if they fail to provide data on digitisation sought by the government.

The ministry maintained that they took such decision as the operators were not coming out with regular about installation of set top boxes (STBs).

The ministry said that, while assessing the preparedness of DAS in four metros, the ministry has come across numerous inconsistencies of data provided by the service providers, particularly MSOs, in regard to inventory position of STB and its deployment.

It will be now mandatory for MSOs and LCOs to provide information as and when it is sought for by the central government or state government or authorised officer or any agency of the Central Government.

The ministry also said that the new rule will empower the central government to cancel or suspend the registration of cable operators or MSO if the information sought for by it is not provided by them.

"As per sub-section (7) of section 4 of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995, the central government may suspend or revoke the registration of cable operators or MSOs if they violate one or more of the terms and conditions of registration," the ministry statement added. "This will ensure correct and timely submission of information by cable operators and MSOs,” the statement added.

Via MediaMughals

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock