Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch

I am also those 25 million. My Airtel dth stb lies rest in eternal piece.

Still don't get it? How is it pinching consumers except if they r willingly choosing channels on standalone basis. Just opt wisely and u will see no excess price burden. This new tariff order is brilliant and empowered us. TRAI should run more awareness campaign to help people utilise options.

Regarding broadcasters well first they should themselves reduce a-la-carte prices rather than keeping it inflated so that consumers opt for bouquet. Why did they oppose 15% bouquet discount cap rule? If bouquet / steep standalone price r only choices then less number of people will show interest thus leading to decline in revenue. Fact is broadcasters want to force channels on subscribers like they did in previous framework and interms of content there is little to offer and we r given boring stuff with massive repetition across these channels. No one will subscribe till this improves. Broadcasters should focus on this rather than blaming TRAI or OTT platforms.

Earlier broadcasters enjoyed getting long term fixed deals which brought huge money in advance thus giving massive discounts to operators and ultimately some of it getting passed to us. I was not happy with this bcoz they became easygoing on quality of content and just focused on leveraging reach by garnering ad revenue. Also there were frequent disputes leading to blackout and no to forget certain operators found it difficult to add new channels as paying high amount upfront came with risks. This is why airtel lagged while Tata Sky was ahead in adding channels during previous framework. Now level playing field has been opened up.

1 day lock in period, substantial decrease in a-la-carte price, no blackouts, fast addition (on most platforms), unlimited flexibility to chose, more warranty on products and accountability of operators r some of excellent things which new tariff order has brought in.

Lastly question to hindi movie channels, why being a viewer i have to watch my favourite bollywood films on internet rather than getting option to watch on ur channels ? Is there an answer to this? Having 4 movie channels per broadcaster will np not satisfy us until we get access to desired content

Still don't get it? How is it pinching consumers except if they r willingly choosing channels on standalone basis. Just opt wisely and u will see no excess price burden. This new tariff order is brilliant and empowered us. TRAI should run more awareness campaign to help people utilise options.

Regarding broadcasters well first they should themselves reduce a-la-carte prices rather than keeping it inflated so that consumers opt for bouquet. Why did they oppose 15% bouquet discount cap rule? If bouquet / steep standalone price r only choices then less number of people will show interest thus leading to decline in revenue. Fact is broadcasters want to force channels on subscribers like they did in previous framework and interms of content there is little to offer and we r given boring stuff with massive repetition across these channels. No one will subscribe till this improves. Broadcasters should focus on this rather than blaming TRAI or OTT platforms.

Earlier broadcasters enjoyed getting long term fixed deals which brought huge money in advance thus giving massive discounts to operators and ultimately some of it getting passed to us. I was not happy with this bcoz they became easygoing on quality of content and just focused on leveraging reach by garnering ad revenue. Also there were frequent disputes leading to blackout and no to forget certain operators found it difficult to add new channels as paying high amount upfront came with risks. This is why airtel lagged while Tata Sky was ahead in adding channels during previous framework. Now level playing field has been opened up.

1 day lock in period, substantial decrease in a-la-carte price, no blackouts, fast addition (on most platforms), unlimited flexibility to chose, more warranty on products and accountability of operators r some of excellent things which new tariff order has brought in.

Lastly question to hindi movie channels, why being a viewer i have to watch my favourite bollywood films on internet rather than getting option to watch on ur channels ? Is there an answer to this? Having 4 movie channels per broadcaster will np not satisfy us until we get access to desired content
C'mon bro that ₹153 NCF is excessive. I hardly watch anything on TV. Just look at my bill. I am way overpaying for what I am getting.
XxssXkZ.png

C'mon bro that ₹153 NCF is excessive. I hardly watch anything on TV. Just look at my bill. I am way overpaying for what I am getting.
XxssXkZ.png

Hmmm. I think NCF can be lowered and even smaller slabs should be created ( of 20, 40, 60, 80 channels respectively ) as already operators r getting enough money in form of carriage fee from FTA channels to compensate for operational cost and generate desired revenue. Think TRAI will do something about this, 15% bouquet discount cap and even multi tv incentives. Need to wait little more.

Actually previously too we were paying NCF in one form or another but price break up was not made public. Right now issue is not much for people opting for more channels or bouquet but those having select preference like in ur case have genuine concerns. Even i have chosen just 15 or 20 chs but paying Rs. 153 initial slab fee which accomodates 100 chs

Hmmm. I think NCF can be lowered and even smaller slabs should be created ( of 20, 40, 60, 80 channels respectively ) as already operators r getting enough money in form of carriage fee from FTA channels to compensate for operational cost and generate desired revenue. Think TRAI will do something about this, 15% bouquet discount cap and even multi tv incentives. Need to wait little more.

Actually previously too we were paying NCF in one form or another but price break up was not made public. Right now issue is not much for people opting for more channels or bouquet but those having select preference like in ur case have genuine concerns. Even i have chosen just 15 or 20 chs but paying Rs. 153 initial slab fee which accomodates 100 chs
Dunno about NCF. I got all major SD and HD channels for ₹250 on digital cable.

Dunno about NCF. I got all major SD and HD channels for ₹250 on digital cable.

Discounts on long term deal + under reporting subscribers which led to cable operators providing chs at such low cost. It needed correction. Also despite all this cable tv service support and other infrastructure is in dismal shape and subscribers face numerous issues

Discounts on long term deal + under reporting subscribers which led to cable operators providing chs at such low cost. It needed correction. Also despite all this cable tv service support and other infrastructure is in dismal shape and subscribers face numerous issues
Don't get me started about underreporting. We needed to provide ID and address proof to get set top boxes. Meanwhile DTH doesn't requires same.

Right now we are forced to pay more for less. Whereas earlier we were getting everything at lesser cost. I'm forced to not subscribe to English movie, English entertainment and sports channels to keep the cost low.

Dino bro these new tariff is stupidity at its best. No one opted's for entertainment based on broadcasters. They buy it based on their favourite genres. If one is into sports, one shouldn't be forced to buy useless GEC and movie channels because of discount pricing. Dunno whether customer opted for useless channels before. Now they are sure doing it in the name of broadcasters bouquet.

Last edited:
Even i have chosen just 15 or 20 chs but paying Rs. 153 initial slab fee which accomodates 100 chs
Nobody subscribes more than that due to the abnormal pricing. In fact TRAI’s own analysis for introducing this order stated, an average consumer doesn't switch more than 50 channels using the TV remote. But they introduced the NCF slab at 100 channels and capped it at 130 which is way too high. I keep saying this, the NTO is just worthless without 15 percent rule. People can't subscribe al-a-carte at current exorbitant rates, even if they want to. Immediate steps should be to cap channel MRP at 10 rupees, and NCF at 80-100 rupees. And another joke in the NTO is HD channel is counted as two slots in the NCF whereas MRP is same for SD and HD, what a joke!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock