Netflix is here, how TS is going to respond?

eprafulla

Reaction score
Absolutely aware that this is not directly related to TataSky, but it is too big a development for the audience of this forum to go unnoticed.
@mods, please move this thread as per regulations.

Ok. Netflix is live in India with following plans:

Basic - Rs. 500/- no HD, 1 screen
Standard - Rs. 650/- HD, 2 screens
Premium - Rs. 800/-, Ultra HD, 4 screens

It is a normal practice to share credentials (NF not known to ban users for this), so the cost can be divided. It makes 200 pm for Ultra HD :D

On bandwidth front:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)

Just checked out the free trial, NF deducts Rs. 70 to check the validity of the card, but it is a no commitments one full month free trial for all three packages. You can back out or upgrade/downgrade anytime.

The catalog is modest to begin with for bollywood and hollywood content. I couldn't find Intersteller or The Martian on it, let alone the latest bollywood stuff. But it is a known issue with NF wherever they start. Gradually content offering improves with time.

Importantly, everything on NF is uncensored.

With the essentials out of the way, what do think? how is it going to affect Indian DTH landscape, all HD but censored content? Especially that TS has shut down the only 4K channel due to lack of content, leaving NF as the only know source for 4K as of now?

Apologies for long post, but though it is better to start on an informed note.

eprafulla said:
Absolutely aware that this is not directly related to TataSky, but it is too big a development for the audience of this forum to go unnoticed.
@mods, please move this thread as per regulations.

Ok. Netflix is live in India with following plans:

Basic - Rs. 500/- no HD, 1 screen
Standard - Rs. 650/- HD, 2 screens
Premium - Rs. 800/-, Ultra HD, 4 screens

It is a normal practice to share credentials (NF not known to ban users for this), so the cost can be divided. It makes 200 pm for Ultra HD :D

On bandwidth front:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)

Just checked out the free trial, NF deducts Rs. 70 to check the validity of the card, but it is a no commitments one full month free trial for all three packages. You can back out or upgrade/downgrade anytime.

The catalog is modest to begin with for bollywood and hollywood content. I couldn't find Intersteller or The Martian on it, let alone the latest bollywood stuff. But it is a known issue with NF wherever they start. Gradually content offering improves with time.

Importantly, everything on NF is uncensored.

With the essentials out of the way, what do think? how is it going to affect Indian DTH landscape, all HD but censored content? Especially that TS has shut down the only 4K channel due to lack of content, leaving NF as the only know source for 4K as of now?

Apologies for long post, but though it is better to start on an informed note.
Tata sky will response by flexing its net! Netflix don't pose any threat to tata sky or any other DTH.

I have heard that content is offered on the basis of your demography, i.e your country. A show like F.R.I.E.N.D.S will be available in US, but not in some other country. Just giving an example. So, since you have an account, can you check if this is the case. I am planning to take the 650 subscription. But, I am still contemplating about mentioning my origin country. If I say US, I will have access to way more content. Although, this might have changed in the recent times, so please don't quote me on this.

Varenya Mehta said:
I have heard that content is offered on the basis of your demography, i.e your country. A show like F.R.I.E.N.D.S will be available in US, but not in some other country. Just giving an example. So, since you have an account, can you check if this is the case. I am planning to take the 650 subscription. But, I am still contemplating about mentioning my origin country. If I say US, I will have access to way more content. Although, this might have changed in the recent times, so please don't quote me on this.

Yes, a lot of content is missing due to geographical restrictions. But a workaround is still there in the form of location spoofers and VPNs both free and paid services available. More can be found here.

eprafulla said:
Yes, a lot of content is missing due to geographical restrictions. But a workaround is still there in the form of location spoofers and VPNs both free and paid services available. More can be found here.

Yeah. I already use HOLA vpn. It's free. Helps me in overcoming the MTNL bans on websites.

@eprafulla : Tatasky has responded by making Everywhere Tv free for all tatasky users. :k

Link Removed

Why to pay Rs 800 subscription extra when you can get it with your DTH subscription ? ;)

Can someone make a new thread with all the shows and movies available on netflix india

Sarkar said:
@eprafulla : Tatasky has responded by making Everywhere Tv free for all tatasky users. :k

Link Removed

Why to pay Rs 800 subscription extra when you can get it with your DTH subscription ? ;)

For two USPs of Netflix:
1. Uncensored.
2. 4K

Other things include overall better streaming technology (adaptive). App presence on almost all smart TVs/consoles apart from phone/tablets and cheap Rs.200 pm if shared among 4 people.

Having said that.. it is competing only for the movies and US TV shows only, so not a true competition in a sense. But most high end TV buyers are mostly concerned about movies and US TV shows most of the time. The only other use case remains is of live sports which won't be there on NF anytime soon. I know, I am generalizing here, so take it with a pinch of salt :)

eprafulla said:
For two USPs of Netflix:
1. Uncensored.
2. 4K

Other things include overall better streaming technology (adaptive). App presence on almost all smart TVs/consoles apart from phone/tablets and cheap Rs.200 pm if shared among 4 people.

There are few issues as well. You can not rely on data streaming in India as connectivity is big issue here and most importantly data price is so high in India. 10 GB 3G data costs Rs 1000 and just imagine it will be used only in 1 hour in 4k stream as 4K streaming will require 7GB per hour per device. :lol

No 3G/4G operators in India provide unlimited 3g/4G plan, most broadband providers has FUP policy after which your internet will reduced to 512 kbps so forget Netflix. some broadband providers provide true unlimited plans but that will costs close to Rs 4000 so Who will bear the cost of this data price ?:huh

There is torrent which is free and no buffering on slow connections just watch after download ;)

Agree with you all, I also think this is not proper time to launch netflix in india. but will be popular in future sure.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock