Niche channels be offered on a la carte with no price cap, suggests TRAI

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
In order to encourage development of niche channels, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has suggested creating a ‘niche channel genre’.

These channels will not have any price cap and have to be sold only on a la carte basis. In its recent consultation paper titled ‘Tariff Issues related to TV Services’, TRAI has suggested that niche channels from broadcasters be available only on al a carte basis and that in no circumstances such channels form part of any bouquet in the entire value chain.

The price forbearance for niche channels will be subject to certain conditions. To ensure that the price forbearance provisions for niche channels are not misused, TRAI suggested that the content of existing channels, especially driver channels, be not allowed under any circumstances to be classified as niche channels.

Further, all channels which were initially classified as niche channel but subsequently disqualified will have to be placed under one of the classified genres and fulfil regulatory price cap prescribed for such genre. In order to classify niche channels, TRAI has suggested three methods a) audience attributes, b) gestation period, and c) nature of content, production, distribution and marketing costs.

TRAI recommended that one of the considerations for classification as niche channel be based on some predefined subscriber numbers for such channels or as a percentage of total subscribership of channels of the pay TV universe.

Newly introduced genres and channels that have not been viewed previously by audiences in the country can be considered as niche channels. Such channels, TRAI said, can be classified as niche channels for a gestation period of say 12–18 months, but they cease to be classified as niche channels as soon as their viewership crosses the criteria as defined above in the audience attribute. Channels that entail much higher initial investments and longer recovery periods may also be classified as niche channels, but they cease to be classified as niche channels as soon as their viewership crosses the criteria as defined above in the audience attribute.

The regulator pointed out that the broadcasting sector presently has around 580 free-to-air (FTA) channels and approximately 262 pay channels, but the number of niche channels is still miniscule.

Read more at: Niche channels be offered on a la carte with no price cap, suggests TRAI | TelevisionPost.com | TelevisionPost.com

I can see something cooking up here.... :u

May be they want some foreign chnls, to enter Indian mkt, which will only be shown as a-la-carte.
These may include some hot/n*de content.... somewhat like TV5 Monde or may be even a little more.

Chnls like "Trace Urban" cud also get an entry into d Indian mkt.... showing some hot songs.

And just because they wont be a part of any package, means nobody complains abt it... that its unsuitable for children etc... :k

shawl_who said:
I can see something cooking up here.... :u

May be they want some foreign chnls, to enter Indian mkt, which will only be shown as a-la-carte.
These may include some hot/n*de content.... somewhat like TV5 Monde or may be even a little more.

Chnls like "Trace Urban" cud also get an entry into d Indian mkt.... showing some hot songs.

And just because they wont be a part of any package, means nobody complains abt it... that its unsuitable for children etc... :k

I never knew that tv5 monde shows n*de stuff or a little below that.. now i'll definitely subscribe to it ;)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock