Ortel all set to offer 50 HD channels

• Thread starter wewake
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,025

wewake

Contributor
Reaction score
MUMBAI: Even though most multi-system operators (MSOs) lag behind when it comes to offering high-definition (HD) channels, Ortel Communications, Odisha’s dominant MSO, is all set to offer HD channels to its customers as part of its differentiation strategy to cater for the high-end segment.

“We will roll out the service in a month’s time. Well, it is not about revenue. It is about offering differentiation to a different segment of customers whatever the revenue,” Ortel Communications president and CEO Bibhu Prasad Rath told TelevisionPost.com.

The MSO has conducted a pilot of the HD service before rolling it out. “We did a pilot project for some time. While we got customer feedback during this period, we also compared the various options on STBs and are now ready to roll out,” said Rath.

“Our experience during this period was good. Apart from the demand for HD channels, customers also want to experience better quality SD channels when transmitted through HD boxes,” he added.

Ortel will charge customers a one-time fee of Rs 2,000 for activating the HD service. “Of course, it will not recover our box cost,” stated Rath.

The MSO has ordered HD STBs from its SD vendor Skyworth. “They are capable of supplying regularly whatever quantity we need going forward,” said Rath, without revealing the number of HD STBs ordered.

While some deals for HD content have been finalised, the MSO is still negotiating with broadcasters. “We have been actively talking with them. Some deals have been finalised. I hope to seal all the deals before we roll out. Given our strong relationship with the broadcasters, I don’t see any issue,” said Rath with confidence.

Though HD channels are generally offered on a revenue share basis, Rath declined to comment on the nature of the deals.

He also expects Odia channels to follow their national counterparts in launching HD services. “We will focus on Hindi GECs, English GECs as well as sports. Odisha as a market has very strong Hindi viewership. So, that will drive the HD market. Also, I am sure Odia channels will plan to launch HD services. In any case, our competitors [DTH players] will also have the same channel offering,” he contended.

Rath reckons HD average revenue per user (ARPU) to be Rs 250 before taxes. He is expecting around 5,000 HD subscribers this fiscal and around 25,000 in the next. The MSO will also expand its headend capacity to offer more HD and SD channels. “Yes, currently we have 200 SD and 15 HD channels. We are looking to expand to 250 SD and 50 HD channels,” Rath added.

Read more at: Ortel all set to offer HD channels | TelevisionPost.com | TelevisionPost.com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock