• Thread starter Drake
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 4
  • Views: Views 2,382

Drake

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,​

Today I completed a Year with ADTV so I thought I should Pen Down errrr...Keyboard Down my thoughts and share it with you all :) .

We bought our 1st DTH Connection i.e. TataSky in March 2007. Never had any complaints with the service and were pretty satisfied with the product. In the year 2009, we upgraded to TataSky+ 160GB SD DVR and I was totally in love with REC feature, infact I couldn't  imagine using a basic STB anymore. See, we have one rule at home i.e. our DTH Consumption must not exceed Rs.500 PM. But lately TataSky started to act greedy, they always hike the price of packages every now and then so once I even had to call CC to downgrade my package.

The itch for upgrading to an HD Connection started around October 2012 when we bought a Full HD LED TV but every time the purchase would get postponed. So, in 2015 I finally decided to upgrade and call'd CC who informed me that upgrading to HD DVR will cost Rs. 6000. See, at that time TataSky HD Access Fee was Rs. 125 which is Rs. 175 now, add Base Pack Price + Add Ons and the total charge was exceeding way too much. Trust me, I tried a lot but couldn't manage to get everything I need within my budget. Ya, one can save a considerable amount via Semi-Annual/Annual Recharges but I am not interested in long duration recharges.

That's when I decided to look elsewhere and came across The Great Airtel Digital TV [Background Music : Trumpets by Alok Nath and Party :eek:hya ]. First thing that attracted me was the price of HD DVR, Rs. 4440 online for a New Connection compared to 6K for TataSky+ Upgrade & the lack of any HD Access Fee was another highlight. Initially I had some confusions regarding Base Packages so I call'd ADTV CC and for the first time experienced the Brilliance of Infamous ADTV Team. Each and every Single Executive I dealt with had a different answer to my query which further twisted my Brain but thanks to Dream DTH Forum, I got all the Info I was looking for.

On 16-07-15 booked HD DVR Online but due to some technical issue, I received my Confirmation SMS from ADTV after 4 Hrs. Soon, in the evening I received a call from the Local Dealer to fix appointment for installation. Next day, at around 10:30 2 ADTV Engineers came and both looked like some Local Frankenstein Experiment Gone Wrong! Anyways, the installation didn't took long as no extra wiring or drilling was required, they just swapped our TataSky Dish & STB with ADTV and done. But like I already mentioned in some other thread, as soon as the STB got activated they handed me the Owners Manual and ran as if their  A$$e$ were on FIRE. So, I call'd CC to activate Recording Feature as my Account didn't had REC Top Up. Now, this lady I talk with sounded so depressed, like some Egyptian Mummy Lost Her Coffin in Gambling, but nevertheless she activated my REC Top Up promptly.

What I Like :

*Great PQ & SQ Quality of HD Channels, even SD Channels looks decent. Earlier, quality of And Tv SD & Zee Cafe SD were like 3GP video file but much improved now.

*I love the Red & Black theme of UI, it's Fast, Responsive, looks Premium. Ya, sometimes it does lag but even an High End Laptop stutters here and there once in a while so no big deal.

*Feature wise, it's very similar to TataSky so I never had to go through the Manual for anything.

*I'm currently subscribed to My Plan 199 + HD Max + HBO SD = 462. No any HD Access Fee crap and am getting all ROI HD Channels within Rs. 500, for me its Great.

*500 GB storage compared to 160 GB of TS+ SD so now my old recordings can stay longer.

*With the latest Firmware 601, Boot up time of HD DVR from cold start reduced drastically. No....you can't Knit a Scarf and complete it before Home Channel appears anymore :no . 

*Signal Reception stronger then TataSky during bad weather.

What I Hate :

*Worst Customer Care Team Ever :angry , All Bunch of Blood Sucking Cheap Desi Dracula's!

*EPG is not detailed like TataSky. No mention of Episode Number or the Release Year for Movies in description. Sometimes even Synopsis of Tv Shows are not up to date.

*REC feature too has few Bugs. Let's just say you Schedule 1 Rec (not Series) at 10 PM and for some reason the timing of that show changed to 10:05 PM, in such cases the Rec Schedule will cancel on its own. So, one always needs to keep an Eye.

*ADTV HD DVR doesn't have a cooling fan. The way it heats up, I hope it doesn't end up frying itself :huh .

*ADTV just like any other DTH Company is greedy, they must add some channels in base packages before increasing the price, atleast make the hike look justifiable Airtel.

*Remember how one use to start those 2 Stroke Bajaj Scooters whenever the fuel use to be low? By tilting and holding that way for few seconds before starting? Ab kya Space mein jake SES9 pe chadhke waise Start karun tab add karoge HD Channels Airtel?

*ADTV takes too long to resolve issues, specially if its a technical problem related to DVR.

Final Thoughts :

First of all there is nothing like good or bad DTH Company, it all boils down to what your needs are. Honestly, If TataSky didn't had this HD Access Fee drama and had ADTV like HD Top Ups, I would have never left them. When I was using TS they were way behind in terms of HD Channel count but its quite opposite now. So, if anyone looking for highest number of HD Channels then please buy TataSky.

It's not like I was completely satisfied with ADTV's service. It took them so long to add HD feeds of my favorite channels like Colors Infinity HD and Zee Cafe HD and I had to contact Nodal Officer to get these channels. Also, I faced Signal Issue twice and had to change the location of my Dish for which that Bhoot-Pisach type Engineer overcharged me, it took me a month but I somehow managed to take back Rs. 150 from him. Overall now I'm happy as I have all the Channels I need, don't miss anything and yes eagerly waiting for HBO HD :tup .

So, before you buy ADTV or any  DTH please compare the packages online and choose the one that fits your requirements. Consulting with friends, neighbors, relatives, colleagues is fine but don't just blindly go with their suggestions as what seems Great to them might be Useless for you. But if you are looking for a Good Quality & Feature Rich DVR and don't wanna spend upto 10k, ADTV HD DVR is the Best Option for you!

Regards,
Drake :hello

Good review :tup :clap :luv :hs

Laughed so hard at the references :D :lol

See, at that time TataSky HD Access Fee was Rs. 150 which is Rs. 175 now,
Just 1 correction. :shy
HD access fee was never costing Rs. 150.
It was directly increased from Rs. 125 to Rs. 175 by Costly Tata Sky :'( :wall

ABCDEFGH said:
Good review  :tup  :clap  :luv :hs

Laughed   so hard at the references  :D  :lol

Just 1 correction.   :shy
HD access fee was never costing Rs. 150.
It was directly increased from Rs. 125 to Rs. 175 by Costly Tata Sky  :'(  :wall

Thanks Bro ;)
Ya, I forgot, it was Rs. 125 :shy

Very nice review. I also want to highlight some points about Tata Sky and ADTV comparison which I shared long time back: :)

Link Removed

DTH Fan said:
Here are my views about both STB:

1. Both Tata Sky and Airtel use same software for their STB, thats why we get similar UI. But Tata Sky UI and EPG looks better than Airtel due to color combination. TS EPG uses blue color while ADTV EPG uses red color.

2. One big drawback and annoying thing with ADTV is the big advertisement bar placed on the top of EPG which hides a little part of program screen. I hate that ad on EPG.

3. ADTV has a bug which automatically deletes some program listing from series recording schedule if the program is not telecastes for a week or more. I have personally faced this bug lots of time.

4. One good thing in ADTV and which is missing in TS is when you see program schedule in the guide, ADTV directly shows selected program's information in the square box shown at the top-right corner of screen. TS uses that square box to show advertisements and we need to press Info button on remote to see the info about the selected program.

5. The biggest annoyance in ADTV is its logo on channels. The logo is bigger compared to TS. Also ADTV logo is not much transparent and looks clearly on all channels. TS uses very small and transparent logo which almost hides on channels.

6. ADTV allows to add only 15 channels in favorites. If you want to add more channels, you'll need to create groups and each group can contain only 15 channels. You can create only 4 groups. On the other hand, TS allows up to 50 channels to be added in favorites.

7. I have also noticed one irritating thing in ADTV. If you change channels quickly, the EPG shows No information available and after 1 second it shows the actual information about the program. So if you are quickly browsing between channels, you need to wait for a moment to check the program information. On TS, the EPG is immediately shown without any delay, so you can quickly browse through channels.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock