Pixelmania - 240p to 8K - How big is their difference

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Reaction score
Have you ever thought what would be the pixel difference between HD Ready and FHD or how big 4K is in terms of pixels than a FHD.. Actually i had this sudden thought and decided to check it myself (by replicating the actual pixels on a huge canvas using Photoshop).. The result was pretty surprising as the difference was huge, even between HD Ready and FHD. So i chose yo share it here for your info.. hope you will enjoy this.. this might be useful when you have a dilemma to choose between HD Ready - FHD - UHD TVs..

First a brief explanation of pixels in various resolution formats....

1. LDTV - Low Definition TV standard

• Lets start with 240p which has a resolution of 320×240 pixels
  • Next is 360p with 480×360 pixels

2. EDTV - Enhanced Definition TV standard

• 480p denotes a vertical resolution of 480 pixels, usually with a horizontal resolution of 640 pixels and 4:3 aspect ratio (640x480)
  • 576p has a vertical resolution of 576 pixels, usually with a horizontal resolution of 720 or 704 pixels. (720x576)

3. HD Ready

• 720p is a progressive HDTV signal format with 720 horizontal lines and 1280 vertical lines and an aspect ratio of 16:9. We can certainly call this as HD Ready. (1280x720)
  • In TVs and Monitors industry standards, HD Ready refers to a resolution of 768 horizontal lines and 1366 vertical lines. (1366x768)

4. Full HD - 1080p (also referred as FHD) has 1920 vertical lines and 1080 horizontal lines and progressive scan. The same resolution of pixels with interlaced scan is called as 1080i display standard. Both 1080p and 1080i has a aspect ratio of 16:9. (1920x1080)

5. 4K

• The international standard for 4K which is also referred as DCI 4K resolution standard, has a resolution of 4096 × 2160 pixels (a 1.9:1 aspect ratio). DCI refers to Digital Cinemas Initiative. This is the resolution used in Movie production and Theatres.
  • UHD-1, or ultra-high-definition television (UHDTV), is the 4K standard for television and computer monitors. UHD-1 is also called 2160p and has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels and 16:9 aspect ratio

6. 8K - 8K resolution or 8K UHD is the current highest UHDTV resolution in digital television and Movie productions. 8K refers to the horizontal resolution of approximately 8,000 pixels, forming the total image dimensions of 7680×4320 pixels and 16:9 aspect ratio.

Here is a infographic of various resolutions at their actual pixel size. That is what you see for each box is made out of their actual pixel count, which thereby provides a true comparison of size of various resolutions...

Open the image in a new tab to see it in full size. The actual canvas size is 8080x4520 pixels, a size which is higher than 8K resolution. Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/DQ3g2gH.jpg

What impresses me is the difference between Purple, Light Blue and Yellow which refers to HD Ready, FHD and UHD 4K respectively.. The difference between HD Ready and FHD is much more than i expected.

DQ3g2gH.jpg

Useful info shared Madhan bhai...

Yes it started when the Analog signal was their and we started with 352x240 in our old CRT Tv's . The biggest problem at that time was the picture quality in analog was so dull due to low pixels & bad Synchronization, So now a huge difference in analog to Digital journey....thanks

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock