Seeking Help Plz help me to choose between Mi box & Tatasky binge+

I don't know about TS Binge future, but at least don't trust Mi. I am using Mi phones from the last few years and have noticed that once they launch a new device of the related segment, their old devices started lagging, or they give unstable updates for just namesake. I have noticed it with Mi A1, Redmi 6 Pro, and my current phone Redmi Note 7 Pro. Even my friend's Mi TV lags nowadays.

XStream didn't have this when Airtel introduced the box. One didn't need to have an active DTH plan to access the OTT content. They have later changed it and updated the software to check for an active DTH connection. TS is not asking for an active Binge subscription today, who knows, tomorrow they might! Owning the device means you should own it without a need to spend a monthly amount on it. If someone wants to watch only free OTT content there shouldn't a need to spend anything.

What I'm trying to say is that, if OTT is the preference for the OP, the hybrid box won't serve the purpose as it requires a mandatory monthly installment. On the other hand, if OP is looking for DTH+OTT, then the hybrid box is the way to go.

1. Amazon prime app doesn't have Dolby 5.1 on XStream and Binge boxes. It's a known issue.
2. Dolby True HD, DTS HD, and DTS:X formats are not supported on XStream and Binge boxes. But these can be experienced only with an advanced Home Theater system.
4. He is saying that all apps are not available on the Play Store of the hybrid boxes whereas, on the MI Box, they will all be available.
When you are buying a dth set top box. You are obviously expected to have an active connection. They are not forcing any special plans to use android features. And there is no guarantee with Mi Box supporting all apps of play store. I use Mi TV which has same OS as Mi Box with many apps missing from play store.

User asked about MI box so I suggested MI box over any hybrid box. Actually my advise is go to any android media player would-be better.
Nividia shield pro would be best option but costly.
Minix u-22 is a new model which is also good but no uhd in netflix and prime.
So MI would be beat option because it is cheap and will fulfill all requirements.
I only consider my requirements and technology I don't bother about so-called brands.

When you are buying a dth set top box. You are obviously expected to have an active connection. They are not forcing any special plans to use android features. And there is no guarantee with Mi Box supporting all apps of play store. I use Mi TV which has same OS as Mi Box with many apps missing from play store.
They force a plan, and that is a constraint. That is why I said the comparison of the OP is not 100 percent right. It really depends on the requirement. If DTH+OTT is the requirement, a hybrid box is the right option else MI Box or any other Android box/stick.

And the audio issues on these hybrid boxes are obviously a concern for Home Theater users.

For that they already have the binge stick Amazon stick.
Both Tata Sky Binge Stick & Binge+ STB are for benefit of Tata Sky. I won't be surprised if tomorrow they term optional Binge pack as mandatory Binge pack. They can also say it was optional as a part of product launch promotional basis.

----

If one is concerned about being future proof. Be it Mi Box or Binge+ STB - Both have their pros and cons. Both can turn terrible if companies change their policy.

If you can invest more bucks and go for dedicated Android TV by TV manufacture OEM, you will be fully future proofed. But that also have it's own cons, such as OS updates would be stopped after a few years (for example, my Sony 4K android LED no longer gets any software updates). For this situation DTH STBs are great, you get software updates like forever. My Tata Sky+ Transfer box still gets software updates.

Both Tata Sky Binge Stick & Binge+ STB are for benefit of Tata Sky. I won't be surprised if tomorrow they term optional Binge pack as mandatory Binge pack. They can also say it was optional as a part of product launch promotional basis.

----

If one is concerned about being future proof. Be it Mi Box or Binge+ STB - Both have their pros and cons. Both can turn terrible if companies change their policy.

If you can invest more bucks and go for dedicated Android TV by TV manufacture OEM, you will be fully future proofed. But that also have it's own cons, such as OS updates would be stopped after a few years (for example, my Sony 4K android LED no longer gets any software updates). For this situation DTH STBs are great, you get software updates like forever. My Tata Sky+ Transfer box still gets software updates.
Isn't it better to rent the firestick via Tata Sky Binge+ for better future proof investment? It offers TV catch up, Disney+ Hotstar, Eros Now and Hungama Play for ₹249. You can enjoy loads of content. When you don't need. You can always return and buy a better product.

Fyi
Amazon prime day sale is due in june. Can expect 4k stick at mi box level if one concerns about privacy.

Though on privacy i worry more about buying mi mobile rather than mi box as one doesn't use streaming device for banking or sms or shopping etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock