Discussion Purchased Tata Play "free" Binge+ box with 6K offer. However, the box is horribly laggy!

• Thread starter dth101
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 25
  • Views: Views 5,771

dth101

Reaction score
As a pure OTT user for past couple of years, I purchased Tata Play as per the "free" Binge+ box offer (6k balance on 6k payment) mainly for my parents who struggle with using apps on the TV. The package is custom with NCF + few channels for my parents, as I plan to use the OTT apps with my login after the 1-month offer.

However, the box is horribly laggy. I have already disabled a lot of system apps and disabled animations from developer settings. Also, Hotstar stutters at 4K. I suppose there is no option now but to keep using this box with my main TV as I mostly do my viewing on mobile/tablet and a separate Fire TV.

Already complained to customer care but looking at all the other responses, seems there is little hope of improvement. I received a Mar 2022 manufactured box and it came with the new remote with buttons for Netflix, Binge+, Prime. Disappointed that the Ethernet port from old boxes is no longer there as I don't trust the WiFi performance of these cheap boxes, so using it with a USB Ethernet dongle now. Also, immediately used button mapper to map it to the OTT apps that I/my parents actually use so that the pain from using the interface is minimized.

Last edited:
@dth101 if you watch 4k contents, go to settings and turn on the SDR to HDR Bro. And I only using YouTube. So I have no much idea about this box.

As a pure OTT user for past couple of years, I purchased Tata Play as per the "free" Binge+ box offer (6k balance on 6k payment) mainly for my parents who struggle with using apps on the TV. The package is custom with NCF + few channels for my parents, as I plan to use the OTT apps with my login after the 1-month offer.

However, the box is horribly laggy. I have already disabled a lot of system apps and disabled animations from developer settings. Also, Hotstar stutters at 4K. I suppose there is no option now but to keep using this box with my main TV as I mostly do my viewing on mobile/tablet and a separate Fire TV.

Already complained to customer care but looking at all the other responses, seems there is little hope of improvement. I received a Mar 2022 manufactured box and it came with the new remote with buttons for Netflix, Binge+, Prime. Disappointed that the Ethernet port from old boxes is no longer there as I don't trust the WiFi performance of these cheap boxes, so using it with a USB Ethernet dongle now. Also, immediately used button mapper to map it to the OTT apps that I/my parents actually use so that the pain from using the interface is minimized.
Yes this box is laggy... especially you face the main lag post boot, sometime channel switching does not work..only option is to switch off and switch on
Btw can you please share pic of new remote? 🙏🥺

The box actually does not support Ethernet over USB as I first thought, since I was already connected to WiFi. I had the technician first come in and mention that the box simply works that way.

Then I raised a complaint with the nodal officer and he sent over a senior person to check who made a video recording of the box stuttering when playing 4K content. He tried changing the resolution and SDR/HDR settings but on the Hotstar app, you could see that the box was dropping around 10 frames every second when playing 4K content. In contrast, I showed him how the same 4K content works fine on my Samsung TV and then he had no reply. He mentioned that he cannot resolve this issue and will escalate the same.

Nothing happened after that and the nodal officer simply stopped responding. I have now lodged a complaint with the National Consumer Helpline, basically asking them to get Tata Play to refund my remaining balance if they are not able to resolve the issue. On a side note, I had also selected coupons worth 6K when placing the order and I did not receive a single coupon.

Also, attached the photo of the remote as per request.

how much free space is there ? low space also will result in lags

Just to follow-up, the technicians put down the issue to my TV which is ridiculous since I have a Samsung The Frame, which is a fairly mainstream and costly model. It is even more ridicuous as I an older 4K Fire is much smoother than the abonimation Tata Play is selling.

Their resolution to the issue is that they will fix the compatibility sometime in the future, when the hardware itself is evidently significantly underpowered and till that time I am supposed to just keep paying them for the horrible experience.

In short, don't invest in the Tata Play box if you can because it has got extremely poor hardware, made worse by even worse software. It is topped up by the incompetence of their technical team and customer support.

Free space or total storage ? more free storage helps.

Free space or total storage ? more free storage helps.

Total storage.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock