Romance Risky Move for Susanne Bier in 'Love Is All You Need'

Anurag M

Reaction score
Venice_Film_Festival_love_is_all_you_need.jpg

Danish director Susanne Bier is accustomed to artistic risk-taking, whether it's aesthetic (the shaky-cam Dogme style of 2002's Open Hearts) or thematic (the Afghan war in 2004's Brothers) or the seductions and dangers of retributive violence in her Oscar-winning In a Better World (2010).

But it's surprising to hear Bier feels her latest film, the romantic comedy Love is All You Need, is her "most controversial movie yet."
On the surface there is little to spark outrage in Love - which debuted to acclaim in Venice before charming audiences at the Toronto Film Festival last week. The movie stars Pierce Brosnan as a lonely widower and In A Better World's Trine Dyrholm as a woman suffering from cancer whose husband leaves her for a woman half her age. Their fates intwine when both travel to Italy to celebrate the wedding between his son and her daughter.

Love Is All You Need bowed at the Danish box office last weekend with more than 100,000 admissions, a career-best for Bier and more than twice the box office of In A Better World. TrustNordisk had sold out Love before its Toronto debut, with Sony Pictures Classics picking up the film for domestic release.
But for Bier, the move back into comedy - her first since Once in a Lifetime back in 2000 - was fraught with creative peril.
"It’s a movie that is unashamedly romantic. Which is something that is difficult to make today," she told THR in Toronto. "If you don’t infuse the romance with cynicism these days it is somehow controversial. ... I was kind of terrified to let this movie out. Because I thought: some people are going to kill me for this. It sounds strange to say but in a way I think this film demanded more courage that some of my dramas."

Source

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock