Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

• Thread starter Thread starter Joyanaranha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25,066
  • Views Views: Views 4,357,044
Well buddy broadcaster does not have option to pick n choose films while agreement is ongoing with a banner or producer or actor. Satyamev Jayate 2 was destined to go to sony and they aired it just like star/disney were confirmed satellite partner of Bunty aur Bubli 2 much before release of the movie.

KGF 2 can premiere on sony max or may be zee cinema. I think Sony Max will focus more on bollywood movies in near future and zee cinema will remain dubbed south indian cinema destination. Though again all these changes r dependent on the fact that respective banners or producers agree for incorporating zee or sony as satellite partner in their current agreement .

Atrangi R is surely a hit on OTT, not so sure if it worked well on TV.

Major will surely be a good movie but have limited appeal thus largely be restricted to And Xplor (if integration of library includes this movie) or whichever channel sony chooses to air such films
Atrangi has been a hit for Max

Khote Sikkay renewed by star/airing, not sure if this is the 1972 retro bollywood movie or the 1998 one which has been directed by Partho Ghosh.

Judging by the runtime of this movie on Star Utsav Movies, most probably it will be the retro bollywood movie which star/disney must have renewed from NH Studioz. Earlier sony had this retro bollywood film

Tomm 4 pm on Star Utsav Movies

Edit - checked spelling of title of both movies,spelling of one scheduled to air on star utsav movies matches with the retro one

Last edited:
Why u expecting so much Mr alvin
In earlier years Sony, Sony Max Were Fresh Channels for me, everytime some new and unknown good bollywood films in schedule and on weekends used to be Dhoom Festival/ Mela for Dhoom Series or some other bollywood movies on Sony TV and day used to be Good Seeing Sony Max Airing YRF Movies, but after 2016 things changed in every aspect be it channels, modern world scenario, music, movies,etc

And yeah mostly I like watching movies to watch on TV, when broadcasted by a channel, altogether it gives a different feeling ❤, rather than always downloading or playing On OTT....and yeah to be honest, haven't watched any of VVC films yet (including Mission Kashmir)

Last edited:
Well i do not see Bhool Bhulaiya 2 to get good ratings post few initial airings, at max it is a one or two time watch and does not have much repeat value. Secondly , sony has over the years focused more on dubbed south indian films which has lead to bollywood audience base drifting away so that is also a reason why even average or good bollywood movies will not deliver same impact as it does on star/disney hindi movie channels. You can see star/disney got good ratings for films like Lakshmi, Bhoot Police, Roohi etc. and other average films like Tadap, Shiddat also might have got decent ratings and even unlikable movies like Bunty Aur Bubli 2 might have scored much more ratings on their chs than what they would have got on rival broadcaster hindi movie channels.

Surely sony is trying to improve on bollywood content but lot needs to done with consistency to deliver good and wide variety bollywood content and get build a robust bollywood audience for its hindi movie channels. Zee/Sony can do extremely well with the number of hindi movie channels they have or the kind of massive bollywood movie library zee has which can b further expanded and thus deliver range of bollywood content for different type of audiences. I m quite hopeful that soon we will revamped / refreshed content strategy being implemented for their hindi movie channels.

Over the years not only i missed seeing many mainstream/popular bollywood movies across hindi movie channels of sony but even most of their offbeat/critically acclaimed bollywood film library was never utilised properly

Reach is missing because people who prefer Bollywood movies must have unsubscribed Sony max since long time. I myself have removed Sony max subscription since like 2 yrs now due to no bollywood content and if at all, it was always in unwatchable slot(late night & early morning).

Whatever subscription I got recently to Sony Max HD was through Tata sky’s offer and yet it was the least watched channel in my list.

I’m hopeful that once Zee’s Bollywood library merges, at least Sony Max HD will follow strategy like colors cineplex HD which is airing 98% bollywood movies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom