Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

Also older films like Kalank, Dil Bechara, Angrezi Medium need to added to its schedule and even some 90s/2000s or classic films should b aired on it
Not older at all, since they were released in the past 2 years. SGS has not premiered a single movie released since 2018. Nor has Star Gold 2 premiered anything since Bala (soon after the rebrand from Movies OK) or Star Plus since Dil Bechara. Every premiere has been on Star Gold only.

I know, even Waqt Hamara Hai, Dum have been shown but old films need to b shown more on SGS. Films like Shool, Angoor, Katha, Masoom (1983) can b added
SGS was specifically launched to show post-2000 movies. Classics have never been and will never be aired on SGS.
Even Do Dooni Chaar might come into effect, its been long since it aired on Star and 2 years back saw on UTV HD so that film might too join the list
Yes, all UTV films will join. Do Dooni Chaar will b a renewal as star india held it earlier too. I feel films like these or say Khosla Ka Ghosla, Rang De Basanti, Wake Up Sid, Rajneeti, I Hate Luv Storys need to shown on main channels rather than just Star Gold Select
Do Dooni Chaar is one of the most underrated movies of 2010 and it will be a perfect fit for SGS.
I think Dangal rights r with UTV/Disney, had this not been the case then UTV Movies would not b able to air. UTV had a sharing agreement with zee where they would get select airings of home production. Quite certain this film will move to star/disney soon
Absolutely not. Dangal and Secret Superstar are a pair whose satellite rights are with Zee because of a deal Zee struck with Aamir Khan. The former was co-produced by Disney so UTV channels have shared it with Zee. No question of Star channels ever airing it.

Last edited:
Not older at all, since they were released in the past 2 years. SGS has not premiered a single movie released since 2018. Nor has Star Gold 2 premiered anything since Bala (soon after the rebrand from Movies OK) or Star Plus since Dil Bechara. Every premiere has been on Star Gold only.

SGS was specifically launched to show post-2000 movies. Classics have never been and will never be aired on SGS.

Do Dooni Chaar is one of the most underrated movies of 2010 and it will be a perfect fit for SGS.

Absolutely not. Dangal and Secret Superstar are a pair whose satellite rights are with Zee because of a deal Zee struck with Aamir Khan. The former was co-produced by Disney so UTV channels have shared it with Zee. No question of Star channels ever airing it.

Dangal will surely shift to disney/star, it is part of UTV-zee agreement and changes will come into effect once it expires

Do Dooni Chaar is a family entertainer and suitable for airing on main channels too

Star Gold Select was launched for showing meaningful or slightly offbeat cinema, nowhere they said that it won't include older pre 2000 films. Also I m ok with it airing films little later rather than having premiere

Imo. Movies with DISNEY-UTV will eventually turn up on Hotstar (Atleast Indonesia). They are frequently all DISNEY-UTV movies now after dubbing them to Indonesian and making them available in Hindi and Indonesian. So, the Dangal case will also be addressed there. Let's wait and see.

Ps: Only Selected titles are going on Dubbing there. Like they dubbed most Multiplex Movies but not Laxmii or the movies after that. UTV movies are also in the same category ie., they added Kai Po Che last week it seems. Not sure, why Hotstar isn't taking advantage of Huge UTV library in international markets where the films aren't tied up in existing contracts.

Star Gold Select was launched for showing meaningful or slightly offbeat cinema, nowhere they said that it won't include older pre 2000 films.
It’s indirectly implied that SGS and &xplor HD will not show anything released before 2000. Check their schedules and you will know why this is the case. Star has SUM for 80s/90s movies and Zee has Zee Classic.
Do Dooni Chaar is a family entertainer and suitable for airing on main channels too
Yes. Star Gold (2) can show it.

Last edited:
Imo. Movies with DISNEY-UTV will eventually turn up on Hotstar (Atleast Indonesia). They are frequently all DISNEY-UTV movies now after dubbing them to Indonesian and making them available in Hindi and Indonesian. So, the Dangal case will also be addressed there. Let's wait and see.

Ps: Only Selected titles are going on Dubbing there. Like they dubbed most Multiplex Movies but not Laxmii or the movies after that. UTV movies are also in the same category ie., they added Kai Po Che last week it seems. Not sure, why Hotstar isn't taking advantage of Huge UTV library in international markets where the films aren't tied up in existing contracts.

It all depends on rights in diff territories, even for dubbing agreements r required. Disney also is syndicating content to increase revenue so like in India Netflix has UTV films bcoz of same reason else it would have been acquired by Hotstar when renewal came up

It’s indirectly implied that SGS and &xplor HD will not show anything released before 2000. Check their schedules and you will know why this is the case. Star has SUM for 80s/90s movies and Zee has Zee Classic.

both show older films too. SGS even aired mughal e azam. And Xplor airs many old films though in after hrs or early morning slots

It all depends on rights in diff territories, even for dubbing agreements r required. Disney also is syndicating content to increase revenue so like in India Netflix has UTV films bcoz of same reason else it would have been acquired by Hotstar when renewal came up
Ik that buddy. If u read correctly what I had said then u would have understood that I'm talking about the markets where they aren't tied up in existing contracts. Hotstar Indonesia (Part of SEA) and is operated by Disney Singapore (also known as Disney SEA) , same as Hotstar Singapore. If Disney is able to have them in one region of the market, why cannot they have those in Singapore? That's what I had said. They aren't yet leveraging the Massive Libraries they have. Leave India for now, which does not bring them any money as those movies are gonna be ending up on free tier anyway.

Ik that buddy. If u read correctly what I had said then u would have understood that I'm talking about the markets where they aren't tied up in existing contracts. Hotstar Indonesia (Part of SEA) and is operated by Disney Singapore (also known as Disney SEA) , same as Hotstar Singapore. If Disney is able to have them in one region of the market, why cannot they have those in Singapore? That's what I had said. They aren't yet leveraging the Massive Libraries they have. Leave India for now, which does not bring them any money as those movies are gonna be ending up on free tier anyway.

Maybe some issue in integration of UTV film library is holding up having these movies on Hotstar Singapore. In India too even satellite tv rights integration took time. Also maybe for Singapore some other entity has rights or r unsold.

In India, Free movies r ad supported so revenue is earned. Anyways subscription cost is very less here

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock