Breaking SC barring Prasar Bharti from sharing live sports feeds helping Star India?

Shantanu

Contributor
Reaction score
The Supreme Court barring Prasar Bharati from airing important sporting events of national events including cricket matches live on private cable and DTH has immensely benefitted Star India and could be one of the key reasons for the network hiking ad rates for the upcoming India-Australia matches. This will have a direct impact on both ad rates and exclusivity of Star India as no longer will viewers have the option of watching prime sports events on DD nor will advertisers have the option to reach out to the cheaper option of DD. Earlier we had reported that Star had quoted Rs. 11.75 lakh for 10 seconds for T20 matches and Rs 9.5 lakh for 10 seconds for ODI matches. According to industry sources it has come down to Rs. 7-8 lakh after negotiations.

As a result Prasar Bharati will not be able to air games of national importance on a channel like DD 1, which is notified as a must-carry channel for all pay TV (cable and direct-to-home) operators, according to the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995.

On the other hand Star India’s ad revenues remain unhurt with advertisers having no option but to go to the network to buy ad spots. Earlier advertisers would opt for cheaper ad rates of DD through which they could get access to a wider set of audience. Also now there is no viewership overlap between DD and Star India giving the latter leverage to up the ad rates.

SC barring Prasar Bharti from sharing live sports feeds helping Star India

Last edited:
I think what it means is DD1 will show it but you will need dd freedish or antenna to catch that feed.

Verdict came last month, I think it is already shared somewhere here

Who will brodcast #ind vs aus series DD1 OR star sports first...

The judgement is quite complex . Technically DD can broadcast matches using DD Direct DTH , & Terrestrial Service (if that exists). The judgement is barring DD from sharing the live coverage with the cable operators .

"The bench said under the provision of the Sports Act, the live feed received by Prasar Bharati from content rights owners was only for the purpose of re-transmission of signals on its own terrestrial and direct-to-home (DTH) networks and not to cable operators."

Star India's main concern is that their income through cable operators is less , as most of them prefer to watch freely . I dont think DD has capability to separately to brodcast . I think they should certainly show it on DD+

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock