Second Wave of Digitization, majority shifts to DTH: Poll Results

tech_genie

Reaction score
Post second wave of Cable TV Digitization, majority shifts to DTH: Poll Results

With the second wave of Cable TV Digitization completed in India, including 30 more cities, we decided to ask our fans, readers and subscribers how they were dealing with transition.

It is that time of week again, where we discuss the results of our ThinkDigit Weekly Poll. Last week, we asked our fans, readers and subscribers if they’d shifted to a DTH operator for their TV consumption requirements, post-Cable TV Digitization in the country.

Over a thousand responses were received, and we’d like to thank the poll takers for their participation, and hope to see the same level of enthusiasm in the future.

The second phase of cable TV digitization was recently implemented in the country, affecting most major towns. With more than a year of warnings, it is surprising cable operators and the consumers are still decrying the move.

Far from a knee jerk reaction from the government, awareness about Cable TV Digitization has been built by constant appeals and communication from the government’s side via print and TV adverts.

For now, cable operators, both the local area providers, and the bigger fish that go by the name of MSOs (Multi System Operators) claim that there are not enough set top boxes to go around. The consumers want an explanation as to why they have to pay extra for a set top box they never wanted.

In the midst of all this, we thought it appropriate to ask our fans, readers, and subscribers how they’ve dealt with the most recent wave of Cable TV Digitization, if they shifted to a DTH service, if they’ve opted for a cable set-top box, or, if they haven’t yet been forced to shift away from their cable because their area has not yet been digitized.

The majority of the poll takers chose the option, “Yes, I have shifted [to DTH],” with 50 percent (502 votes) of the total respondents. This indicates a large portion of our readers decided to avoid the pitfalls of a cable set-top box, and embrace the benefits of a DTH service.

30 percent (298 votes) of the poll takers chose the option, “No, I have opted for a cable set-top box,” which indicates a fewer number of readers decided the benefits of the solution outweighed the problems, such as dealing with local cable operators, the level of service quality associated with them, and the lack of clarity on package structures.

Finally, 20 percent (201 votes) of the respondents chose the option, “No, my area has not yet been digitized,” indicating a significant portion of our readers located in areas that were not affected by the second wave of digitization.

Check out the poll results in graphical form below, and previous poll results here. Do also share your views on this week’s ThinkDigit Weekly Poll, where we ask you: “With the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One officially available in India now, which one is your pick for the best Android smartphone?”

Cable%20TV%20Digitization%20Poll(1).jpg

Source: Post second wave of Cable TV Digitization, majority shifts to DTH: Poll Results - LCD TVs | Plasma TV & Televisions | ThinkDigit Features

It is not true picture.

Cable sold more stb than dth.

But after few disappoints from cable, they will change to dth.

And for obivous reason of hd channel.

It may be biased but it is true that the DTH companies have done better in the second phase because of lack of STBs with the LCOs in many smaller cities.

Nobody wants a black-out ;)

Installing cable stb is easier move, which people had preferred when govt suddendly ask for compulsory of buying stb for watching tv.

yes, saket cable walas in my area are providing
inferior quality stb...
sometimes audio on channels are missing and sometimes video...
i think PVT CO. dths will be ruling in my area in few days...

quality wanting people opt for DTH and other opt for local cable dth.

moreover local digital cable provide more channels ( in my locality it is around 370+ , without including audio feeds.) but problem is that picture goes out some time.. some times no signal...

I live in bangalore and i am in a residential locality, Tata sky inspite of having less number of channels, people are opting for the same. I am really surprised.

scorpionking76 said:
I live in bangalore and i am in a residential locality, Tata sky inspite of having less number of channels, people are opting for the same. I am really surprised.

this is bcoz tata sky's huge name and fame ... moreover its advertisment is best among all dth which attarct people.. but technical users who know about satelite space mpeg2 mpeg4 etc. do not chose tata sky.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock