Set-top box (STB) to TV / Monitor Video Display ports explained

• Thread starter Vinay
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 7
  • Views: Views 3,251

Vinay

Reaction score
As I took off all the satellite and cable equipments today for cleaning the house, a thought occurred to me of giving a quick guide for display ports commonly found on various dth and other set-top boxes.

6mU9U.jpg

Here we analyze the ports and their capacities:

Composite Video (CVBS): This one is bound to be there on almost each and every STB. It gives a good DVD quality picture with typical resolutions of 480i or 576i with no HD resolutions handling capability.

eREhJ.jpg

Component Video (Y, Pb, Pr): This port gives a slight improvement over composite video with increased colour depth and larger bandwidth to carry the signal. Resolutions supported are 480i, 576i and in some newer models even upto 720p is also possible.

r7DPs.jpg

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface): This is the most sought after display port in the devices today. Uncompressed digital audio-video data carried through 19-pin conductors increases the bandwidth enabling carrying HD resolutions 720p, 1080p, 1080i signals resulting in crisp, life-like images. It is superior in many aspects.
The audio signals are also carried in the same HDMI cable, so wire clutter is reduced.

MDMM1.jpg

S-Video: S-Video is found on select display devices and is considered an improvement over Composite video. The capacity is 480i, 576i, VGA resolution, SVGA resolution.

PQKm9.jpg

VGA: The most common interface on computers/laptops is found on older discontinued STB models of Dish tv. The resolution is VGA (640X480) which is the signal downscaled from 720 X 576

j6wHM.jpg

Excellent job Vinay bhai... ;)

+reps from me... :luv

Excellent job by Vinay... :tup

+4reps from my side.

Hope you will continue to clean your electronics stuff on regular basis ,
so that we'll get more excellent guide/info from your side ... :sp

There are 4 STB's in first picture? Right?

Last STB has so many ports... ;)

You have a nice collection... :sp

The last one is a DVD player with 5.1 ch surround sound.
Then there are 2 Satellite Receivers, 1 Digital Cable box and 1 VGA converter

By the way which brand HD STB you have brother? :huh

Solid?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock