Share clean feed sporting events with Prasar Bharati: Delhi High Court

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Reaction score
LAT_PRASAR_BHARTI_652905f.jpg

Upholding Prasar Bharati’s view, the Delhi High Court on Thursday held that whosoever airs a live television broadcast of sporting events of national importance must share the same with national broadcaster without any commercials.

A bench of Chief Justice N V Ramana and Justice Pradeep Nandrajog made the observations while dismissing a TV channel’s plea seeking a direction to Prasar Bharati not to insist on the live signal of international cricket matches of India without any commercial.

”.... Whosoever airs a live television broadcast of sporting events of national importance must share the same without any advertisements inserted with Prasar Bharati.

“We find no merit in the writ petition which we dismiss but without any order as to costs...,” the bench said while rejecting the plea of ESPN Software India Pvt Ltd.

On April 6, in a communication to ESPN, Prasar Bharati had said “it is not in a position to share the live signals which are not clean” and insisted that the channel provide the feed of the matches without any commercials.

Filing a petition before the High Court, ESPN had claimed to be the exclusive distributor of cricket matches of national importance and said that earlier as a matter of practice it had offered the live signals of several matches with commercials as per the 2007 Sports Broadcasting Signals (mandatory sharing with Prasar Bharati) Act and relevant rules but this time the government channel has put a condition.

Seeking the court’s intervention, the channel had said, “Refusal of the respondent to accept the feed has resulted in a stalemate or impasse which may deprive millions of viewers of watching the international cricket tournaments”.

Share clean feed sporting events with Prasar Bharati: Delhi High Court - The Hindu

Good to see that we can able to enjoy live India matches on DD National too!
:) :) :)

But then private DTH operator like Dish TV blocks DD National channels at the time of live matches...:angry

I didn't notice that inspite of i saw dishtv add dd national on their own tp for middle east user...

prashant shridhar said:
I didn't notice that inspite of i saw dishtv add dd national on their own tp for middle east user...

As per my view, LIVE matches are for Indian viewers only. Viewers of other countries will see regular program of DD National only from another feed. (in case, cBand DD National). Earlier, I was able to view LIVE matches on Terrestrial DD1, but not in DD Direct DD1.

yes a very good news for me and it means dat I am not going to subscribe NEO channels for India vs New Zealand.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock