Discussion Should Indian Movie production studios venture into television broadcasting?

Mylanji

Contributor
Reaction score
The topic of discussion is based on my post on a recent thread which can be accessed below:

Let's elaborate - There are a lot of big Movie production studios in India which are engaged in producing feature films for public screening in theatres. And after their theatrical run is complete (irrespective of their success or failure), they are handed over to different TV channels for airing as "World TV Premiere" (which is mysterious as to how the World can view a movie on a TV channel in India).

They have all the infrastructure required for having their own television channel, yet they have stayed away from the medium. Except for a few production houses that had created content for television in the past.

Back in 2002 (or maybe 2008 as I am exactly not sure), a news report suddenly went viral that Yash Raj Films, or YRF as it is also known, was planning to launch a television channel on its own. But unfortunately, that plan was put on the back burner. YRF had in fact already shot some high-quality programmes which were scheduled to be aired on that said channel, but instead, they were aired on Sony TV under a timeshift band called YRF Television. After a lacklustre run and due to a lukewarm response from the viewers, the shows were taken off the air. YRF Television was dead.

However, the scenario is different now, thanks to OTT and streaming platforms making the way. And moreover, viewers' tastes have changed. They are now no longer interested in watching the regressive Saas-Bahu melodramas which had ruled Indian television for the past few years (and are still running), or meaningless supernatural shows with poor VFX. Moreover, it's high time people looked beyond the "Big 4" which are ruling the broadcasting space ever since.

So I would therefore ask your opinions on the following topics related to this thread :
  • Should the reputed Indian movie studios like YRF, Dharma Productions, Mukta Arts, etc. think of entering television broadcasting since the time is now ripe to do so?
  • What kind of content should they bring (both fiction and non-fiction) if they enter?
  • Do you think it is beneficial for them to air both their produced movies and the television content they produce on their own channels, or is it a loss-making idea?
  • Will you prefer watching their channels or will you still keep watching the ones from the "Big 4"?
Your opinions matter. Let's start...

Rather than start their own channels, produce shows for existing channels.

Movie studios have always offered to produce for TV channels. But channels refused because they thought it is not worth it because once aired, they were going to trash it.

This is not the case now in the times of OTT. After airing, you can put them on OTT.

So now I guess channels are more in a position to buy shows from movie studios.

Didn't YRF start an OTT production unit recently called 'YRF Entertainment' or something?

Rather than start their own channels, produce shows for existing channels.

Movie studios have always offered to produce for TV channels. But channels refused because they thought it is not worth it because once aired, they were going to trash it.

This is not the case now in the times of OTT. After airing, you can put them on OTT.

So now I guess channels are more in a position to buy shows from movie studios.

Didn't YRF start an OTT production unit recently called 'YRF Entertainment' or something?
YRF did for Sony. Some shows are available on Netflix. I forgot their name.

I Agree, Like how goldmines airs their hindi dubbed content on their own channels. YRF and other production houses should also start their channels and start showing their good shows and it would even good if they show their own produced movies too, in that way deserving movies will also get Prime airing unlike those 4 channels, which push movies to Watershed hours. This would be good competion, Like how people supported - Hero:Gayab Mode on, Hero: Bhakti Hi Shakti Hai, some other science fiction shows, they will also support this, if good promotion happens, if shemaroo tv being a new channel is running well, then why the channel of these production houses ? 🙂😀

And yeah an ott platform too, where they can stream their old as new shows and movies (if any) too.

YRF did for Sony. Some shows are available on Netflix. I forgot their name.
I am sure many other studios have done it for Zee and Star Plus in the 90s. But they have thrown all the shows in the garbage. They never imagined they would need them again.

In the US, TV shows are always preserved for VHS and DVD sales. But TV shows never sold well on VHS and DVD in India.

I Agree, Like how goldmines airs their hindi dubbed content on their own channels. YRF and other production houses should also start their channels and start showing their good shows and it would even good if they show their own produced movies too, in that way deserving movies will also get Prime airing unlike those 4 channels, which push movies to Watershed hours. This would be good competion, Like how people supported - Hero:Gayab Mode on, Hero: Bhakti Hi Shakti Hai, some other science fiction shows, they will also support this, if good promotion happens, if shemaroo tv being a new channel is running well, then why the channel of these production houses ? 🙂😀

And yeah an ott platform too, where they can stream their old as new shows and movies (if any) too.
Bro how many movies yrf, dharma have to run channels, Goldmines have nearly 500 dubbed movies. No production house in india has the library to run their own channel. Shemaroo is a library company, so that's a different thing

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock