Discussion Should Tata Sky bring back Sony +1 HD channels?

Should Tata Sky bring back Sony's +1 HD channels?

• Total voters

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Since around late 2018. Tata Sky has stopped offering +1 HD channels of Sony. While other broadcasters like Star, Zee and Colors have +1 channels of their leading GEC and movie channels. Sony's channel are only exclusive to SD box users.

As Sony is one of the broadcasters that doesn't give fair repeat airtime to it's shows. Do you think Tata Sky should bring back SET HD +1, SAB HD +1 and MAX HD +1?

TATA Sky should remove 2 ( 7mhz x 2)+1 channels for eg star gold+1 and zee cinema+1
and bring a 4k hevc (14-15mhz)channel
what is the point of having a +1hr movie channel

There are no 4k satellite channels. Tata Sky already got rid of Star Movies HD +1 to add Jio MAMI HD.
I am no expert on how DTH companies are run in India, i can give one suggestion to move the industry forward

In UK/Germany they have 1 or 2 4k allotted "channels" where they show different events of different broadcasters using a simple CAS conditional access system
For eg :- "sky sports f1" has f1 going on from 2pm to 5pm so they will telecast this on the 4k channel, then "sky sports pl" has premier league from 6 to 9pm then they will telecast this on the same 4k channel, later in night they use the same spectrum for BBC earth for some documentary in 4k
using CAS they can refresh the access and show Bundesliga on "bt sports 1" the next day when no even is on sky sports

same can be done in India
4k content on Viacom serie a, laliga, ligue1, fifa
4k content on star f1 pl nba mlb one
4k content on sony ufc uefa cl euro copa olympics
4k content on euro sports/discovery motogp mls f2 golf?
and days of content in natgeo/bbc earth

single channel with proper cas can be done (so if i am subscribed to "star sports select 2" i can watch f1, but if i am not subscribed to "star sports select 1" i cant watch pl)
It will boost 4k cricket content as well (if you remember the ads for foxtel 4k on boundary walls during india aus test series saying watch this in 4k)
Foxtel launches 4K channel with live sport, no buffering in sight - CNET

DybrqJW.jpg

iOPH1Wi.jpg

I am no expert on how DTH companies are run in India, i can give one suggestion to move the industry forward

In UK/Germany they have 1 or 2 4k allotted "channels" where they show different events of different broadcasters using a simple CAS conditional access system
For eg :- "sky sports f1" has f1 going on from 2pm to 5pm so they will telecast this on the 4k channel, then "sky sports pl" has premier league from 6 to 9pm then they will telecast this on the same 4k channel, later in night they use the same spectrum for BBC earth for some documentary in 4k
using CAS they can refresh the access and show Bundesliga on "bt sports 1" the next day when no even is on sky sports

same can be done in India
4k content on Viacom serie a, laliga, ligue1, fifa
4k content on star f1 pl nba mlb one
4k content on sony ufc uefa cl euro copa olympics
4k content on euro sports/discovery motogp mls f2 golf?
and days of content in natgeo/bbc earth

single channel with proper cas can be done (so if i am subscribed to "star sports select 2" i can watch f1, but if i am not subscribed to "star sports select 1" i cant watch pl)
It will boost 4k cricket content as well (if you remember the ads for foxtel 4k on boundary walls during india aus test series saying watch this in 4k)
Foxtel launches 4K channel with live sport, no buffering in sight - CNET

DybrqJW.jpg

iOPH1Wi.jpg
Yes, I understand how it works in other countries. But we have taken a step back with TRAI's tariff order. If there is some one off event. Every single user despite being on the highest charged packages will be required to buy channels prior to the event. Or broadcaster would've to provide the feed on complimentary basis. This is not an ideal way to earn revenue. I don't even think they will break even. So temporary 4k feed will not exist in the near future. Even if there is some demand. It will be left to streaming services to cover the demand.

Yes, I understand how it works in other countries. But we have taken a step back with TRAI's tariff order. If there is some one off event. Every single user despite being on the highest charged packages will be required to buy channels prior to the event. Or broadcaster would've to provide the feed on complimentary basis. This is not an ideal way to earn revenue. I don't even think they will break even. So temporary 4k feed will not exist in the near future. Even if there is some demand. It will be left to streaming services to cover the demand.
usually India copies from European PAL countries (good thing)
but Europeans have been watching f1, PL in 4k since 2016-17 and we are stuck with 1080i till 2022

We actually had temporary 4k channels in 2014 and 2015. In 2019 our industry had to a step back because of new regulations.
yeah
that 1 wc cricket event(only ind matches), 1 2 hrs copa 100 final and 1 bhai ka movie, and now 1 only internettv s still Wikipedia shows 5 channels
in 2015 mpeg4 ~30mhz per 4k ch was being used and 4k tvs were expensive and it made no sense to copy EU that time
now hevc mpegh~16mhz per 4k ch boxes are there (binge+ and xstream4k) and 4k tvs are around 25k
Nothing makes sense

4K is a non starter even in other countries. Ultra HD did not get any success.

TRAI rules r great and step which should have been taken 5 yrs back, rules r not bad but broadcasters not implementing it properly so that we get the desired flexibility and affordability. I have already discussed these in detail before so will not repeat but plz stop blaming TRAI unnecessarily.

4K content comes at high cost....In India's largely ad driven, low cost subscription revenue model this will not gel in

1. No one is asking to broadcasters to "create" 4k content, it is already there
f1 is shot and telecasted in 4k 50i hlg hdr since 2017 in uk/germany/finland and other countries
same with pl, uefa, fifa, ufc, serie a, lalliga etc
ipl and other major cricketing events are also shot in at least 4k then down sampled/cropped in to 1080i

2. infrastructure is also there with binge+ and xstream 4k hevc boxes getting more affordable (even free in some cases)

3. regarding the TRAI rules, using the same current model, if i am already paying for some channel, and content on that channel is available in 4k hlg, then give an option to switch to 4k with 4k access fee, like hd access fee was there
22.4 rs for sd of a channel = 22.4 rs for hd of the same channel

sales for binge+ or xstream 4k hevc will also rise
cost for the dth company is 15mhz for 1 4k channel in hevc instead of 7mhz for 1 hd channel in mpeg4
if dth companies and broadcasters were willing to experiment with 4k in 2014/15 when 4k tvs were 1.5lakhs, revenue mode is more logical now

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock