Discussion Should Tata Sky bring back Sony +1 HD channels?

Should Tata Sky bring back Sony's +1 HD channels?

• Total voters
1. No one is asking to broadcasters to "create" 4k content, it is already there
f1 is shot and telecasted in 4k 50i hlg hdr since 2017 in uk/germany/finland and other countries
same with pl, uefa, fifa, ufc, serie a, lalliga etc
ipl and other major cricketing events are also shot in at least 4k then down sampled/cropped in to 1080i

2. infrastructure is also there with binge+ and xstream 4k hevc boxes getting more affordable (even free in some cases)

3. regarding the TRAI rules, using the same current model, if i am already paying for some channel, and content on that channel is available in 4k hlg, then give an option to switch to 4k with 4k access fee, like hd access fee was there
22.4 rs for sd of a channel = 22.4 rs for hd of the same channel

sales for binge+ or xstream 4k hevc will also rise
cost for the dth company is 15mhz for 1 4k channel in hevc instead of 7mhz for 1 hd channel in mpeg4
if dth companies and broadcasters were willing to experiment with 4k in 2014/15 when 4k tvs were 1.5lakhs, revenue mode is more logical now

4K Content / Feed is not free, rights need to b acquired for it and they r extremely costly. If a broadcaster has rights they can arrange for it and launch a 24/7 channel or collaborate with DTH or Cable operators or unsold events rights can b acquired by DTH or Cable operators and launch dedicated 4K chs. Either ways in India it does not make economic sense or feasible for operators or broadcasters

Even a PPV or 4K access fee won't yield good results. Most population cannot afford paying it while those who can would watch IPL thru app and 4K rights costs would b easily recoverable thru subscription or ads. Also Free 4K service channel can b given for select events if broadcasters and operators can work out a revenue model where ads can cover for expenses but i don't see this happening bcoz mass audience is happy with SD or HD feed, also most have HD TV sets

What is possible is that 4K IPTV chs which r free or cost less can b given by operators.

Remember to use 4K features of hybrid box, internet or app content/chs is best option in India

4K Content / Feed is not free, rights need to b acquired for it and they r extremely costly. If a broadcaster has rights they can arrange for it and launch a 24/7 channel or collaborate with DTH or Cable operators or unsold events rights can b acquired by DTH or Cable operators and launch dedicated 4K chs. Either ways in India it does not make economic sense or feasible for operators or broadcasters
rights are already acquired by the broadcaster, they are already paying for 4k50i feed that they down sample
4k content on Viacom serie a, laliga, ligue1, fifa
4k content on star f1 pl nba mlb one
4k content on sony ufc uefa cl euro copa olympics
4k content on euro sports/discovery motogp mls f2 golf?
and days of content in natgeo/bbc earth

]Even a PPV or 4K access fee won't yield good results. Most population cannot afford paying it while those who can would watch IPL thru app and 4K rights costs would b easily recoverable thru subscription or ads. Also Free 4K service channel can b given for select events if broadcasters and operators can work out a revenue model where ads can cover for expenses but i don't see this happening bcoz mass audience is happy with SD or HD feed, also most have HD TV sets

What is possible is that 4K IPTV chs which r free or cost less can b given by operators.

Remember to use 4K features of hybrid box, internet or app content/chs is best option in India
IPTV(broadcast) is same as cable, but over ethernet instead of coax cable
i think you are referring to internet tv (unicast)
but the drawbacks are
-for example india gets into final t20 world championship
everyone on that night will want to watch it in 4k (as they have subscribed to premium hotstar)
load on servers that night will be 25mb/sec per user, which is impossible to host and will crash the site/app or cap the resolution at 1080p

unicast system like vod and internet tv will never be able to replace dth/cable broadcast in certain applications
4k50p over internet tv is only feasible when h.266 vvc codec becomes common

+1 channels are helpful, I understand why. Even though I am a HD+ (PVR) user, yet I find them useful. If we forget to record a show and later remember, these channels becomes really useful. Since mostly these days we watch entertainment channels in HD, having +1 for HD channels can be useful.

But real useful these channels will be for HD box users because they don't have any options to record shows on TV.

So yes, I hope Tata Sky consider bringing back Sony's +1 HD channels again in the future.

rights are already acquired by the broadcaster, they are already paying for 4k50i feed that they down sample

IPTV(broadcast) is same as cable, but over ethernet instead of coax cable
i think you are referring to internet tv (unicast)
but the drawbacks are
-for example india gets into final t20 world championship
everyone on that night will want to watch it in 4k (as they have subscribed to premium hotstar)
load on servers that night will be 25mb/sec per user, which is impossible to host and will crash the site/app or cap the resolution at 1080p

unicast system like vod and internet tv will never be able to replace dth/cable broadcast in certain applications
4k50p over internet tv is only feasible when h.266 vvc codec becomes common

Same thing buddy, ur box connected to Wifi and Wifi working thru fibre or copper cable

Do not worry nothing will crash as more people join OTT, platforms will keep upgrading servers and other tech things. All i am saying is 4K sports on TV is very difficult in Indian Pay TV system, those interested can easily watch on app and most population including me happy with HD. I also have XStream box but just a full hd tv so 4K is useless for me. Still even HD STB / channels penetration is less and affording 4K is possible for few users

+1 channels are helpful, I understand why. Even though I am a HD+ (PVR) user, yet I find them useful. If we forget to record a show and later remember, these channels becomes really useful. Since mostly these days we watch entertainment channels in HD, having +1 for HD channels can be useful.

But real useful these channels will be for HD box users because they don't have any options to record shows on TV.

So yes, I hope Tata Sky consider bringing back Sony's +1 HD channels again in the future.

Bapun Bro, if u forget recording a show then watch it on app. Hybrid boxes r affordable and solve the issue. HD users too can upgrade. Earlier USB Recording or Twin Tuner DVR was a good option and still is for people not much into new age tech but for others it is obsolete thing. Infact to be honest many elders like watching content at original time and even though they find it difficult to set recording but tell their children to play that particular show which can easily be done. +1 channels r not needed and do not serve any purpose rather than wasting bandwidth

Anyways all Hindi GEC, Hindi Movies, News, Music r repeated frequently thus negating need for recording or +1 channels for regular older viewers. Best would b that Tata Sky should bring back Push VoD for HD users, enable USB Recording and Catch Up TV, VoD for DVR Users

+1 feature makes some sense for star plus zeetv colors and even set
but for zee cinema and star gold? if you want to watch a specific movie and live in remote Arunachal Pradesh without 3g then you set a reminder or alarm on phone
otherwise ott is the way or usb recording for rest 99%

my only point is, If tata sky is giving another 8mhz per +1 hd channel X 5 for FREE to its 4k/hd/hdpvr/binge+ users
then if the company wants to, they can easily use a single 15 mhz to get a 4k hevc channel for free(initially) and give an option to watch it it 4k like sky does in uk as the rights are already acquired
the same sky in Tata "sky"
Same thing buddy, ur box connected to Wifi and Wifi working thru fibre or copper cable
iptv is completely different for internet tv
IPTV is short for Internet Protocol TV. It uses private networks, "set top boxes" (STBs) like dth, closely resembles cable television. Typically it is implemented on private network. IPTV is the BROADCAST of IP video, which means the necessity of multicast for IPTV streaming.

Internet TV uses public networks, is presented on network appliances like PCs. It uses video transmission over normal internet, which causes delayed or missing packets(buffering). There are wide range of connection speeds. There is no multicast, as it uses dedicated connection to each viewer. So unicast like youtube/netflix

Do not worry nothing will crash as more people join OTT
BBC/itv servers crashed during England games during fifa 2018
from 4k50p, only 1080p50 was there i remember
movies in 4k are in 24p and series in 4k are in 25/30p, so literally double server load is required for sports

Last edited:
+1 feature makes some sense for star plus zeetv colors and even set
but for zee cinema and star gold? if you want to watch a specific movie and live in remote Arunachal Pradesh without 3g then you set a reminder or alarm on phone
otherwise ott is the way or usb recording for rest 99%

my only point is, If tata sky is giving another 8mhz per +1 hd channel X 5 for FREE to its 4k/hd/hdpvr/binge+ users
then if the company wants to, they can easily use a single 15 mhz to get a 4k hevc channel for free(initially) and give an option to watch it it 4k like sky does in uk as the rights are already acquired
the same sky in Tata "sky"

iptv is completely different for internet tv
IPTV is short for Internet Protocol TV. It uses private networks, "set top boxes" (STBs) like dth, closely resembles cable television. Typically it is implemented on private network. IPTV is the BROADCAST of IP video, which means the necessity of multicast for IPTV streaming.

Internet TV uses public networks, is presented on network appliances like PCs. It uses video transmission over normal internet, which causes delayed or missing packets(buffering). There are wide range of connection speeds. There is no multicast, as it uses dedicated connection to each viewer. So unicast like youtube/netflix

BBC/itv servers crashed during England games during fifa 2018
from 4k50p, only 1080p50 was there i remember
movies in 4k are in 24p and series in 4k are in 25/30p, so literally double server load is required for sports

It does not make sense even for GEC or any other genre. Simply upgrade to hybrid stb, get a smart stick, use USB Recording (set recording thru mobile incase u tend to forget later) and above all request Tata Sky to reenable Push Vod on HD boxes and Catch Up TV, VoD on HD DVR.

All these options will take care of everyone's needs

I find +1 chs only useful for people who do not know how to record or use apps, but then they can take help of others for this. Also housewives or older generation people can watch GEC, Movies, News anytime as there is repetition so +1 chs serve no purpose, occasionally they can use above options

In India app/web is destination for 4K apart from few IPTV 4K chs which r available for free. Servers won't crash, there is fine balance in India between those using internet to watch content and those using linear tv, even going forward there won't b tremendous load on apps and if there is ways will b found to counter it

By IPTV channels i means chs like Travel XP 4K or some others which Tata Sky has enabled on EPG thru internet and not using satellite bandwidth for it.

Tata Sky or any company won't give 4K sports events for free, those sports rights which r held by broadcasters , its ultimately upto them if they want acquire 4K feed and work a revenue model. All in all i do not see sports 4K being available and even if available not for free. Pay TV system model here not suited for 4K and less interest from subscribers too

Last edited:
Does anyone know any legal/illegal way to watch live sports like F1, EPL in 4K 50p/i ?
and does the 4k 2015 tata sky stb support hevc compression or is it just mpeg4? Was it really future proof

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock