Discussion Should TV shows be released early on streaming platforms?

Should episodes of TV shows come on OTT platforms before it's TV broadcast?

• Total voters

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
If I am not wrong this trend was started by Star. Followed by Colors and Zee. 3 out of the 4 major broadcasters are giving away fresh episodes of tv episodes on streaming platform even before it's TV broadcast.

Here's the debate. OTT has it's own set of content. Out of which 99% content including some bollywood movies are never coming to TV. Giving exclusivity to the streaming platform. Why shouldn't TV has some exclusivity? Old episodes should be available to stream On Demand. But fresh episodes in my opinion should come on the tv at the same time as OTT platform. So that the spoilers are not out. Also gives satellite channels some exclusivity and fresh feel which is done in US too where broadband internet's penetration is higher than us.

What's your take on this topic?

If I am not wrong this trend was started by Star. Followed by Colors and Zee. 3 out of the 4 major broadcasters are giving away fresh episodes of tv episodes on streaming platform even before it's TV broadcast.

Here's the debate. OTT has it's own set of content. Out of which 99% content including some bollywood movies are never coming to TV. Giving exclusivity to the streaming platform. Why shouldn't TV has some exclusivity? Old episodes should be available to stream On Demand. But fresh episodes in my opinion should come on the tv at the same time as OTT platform. So that the spoilers are not out. Also gives satellite channels some exclusivity and fresh feel which is done in US too where broadband internet's penetration is higher than us.

SPN is absolutely correct in this matter thus giving importance to thier television audience.
Ott for tv channels is meant for giving old episodes for viewers who couldn't see live on tv.
It can be provided 1 minute or 5 minutes before tv but with ads on ott😂

Bro as Today Everybody is busy in their work ...People do not have time to watch tv..They have mobiles as a source of entertainment...When we move to delhi metro, we see that lots of people have excess to OTT apps ....They are busy watching it on the way to their office.... That's why OTT players are showing contents exclusively on Ott... That's my personal view...

Bro as Today Everybody is busy in their work ...People do not have time to watch tv..They have mobiles as a source of entertainment...When we move to delhi metro, we see that lots of people have excess to OTT apps ....They are busy watching it on the way to their office.... That's why OTT players are showing contents exclusively on Ott... That's my personal view...
I agree. But OTT has it's own set of frssh content. I am not saying to take tv content off OTT. I am saying simulcast it at the same time which is done by broadcasters (exception of Showtime) in US as well.

I agree. But OTT has it's own set of frssh content. I am not saying to take tv content off OTT. I am saying simulcast it at the same time which is done by broadcasters (exception of Showtime) in US as well.
Bro simulcast is done at jio tv App..

OTT is no longer catering only to classes where the debate of exclusive OTT content might be justified. The exclusive content made for OTT audience will always have it's core audience.

But one thing that is different betwen netflix, prime video and hotstar,zee5,voot is mass appealing content which can attract lot of users to this platforms due to easy accessibility.

OTT is no longer catering only to classes where the debate of exclusive OTT content might be justified. The exclusive content made for OTT audience will always have it's core audience.

But one thing that is different betwen netflix, prime video and hotstar,zee5,voot is mass appealing content which can attract lot of users to this platforms due to easy accessibility.
Agree with you. But the later you mention is part of the tv industry. They already have luxury of having decades old shows in their platform. By giving away the current product on OTT platform. Don't you think they are doing injustice by taking away exclusivity of satellite tv? This not only hurts their own channel. It also hurts DTH and cable industry as well.

Agree with you. But the later you mention is part of the tv industry. They already have luxury of having decades old shows in their platform. By giving away the current product on OTT platform. Don't you think they are doing injustice by taking away exclusivity of satellite tv? This not only hurts their own channel. It also hurts DTH and cable industry as well.
Doordarshan shows like Ramayan , Mahabharat which were later shown on private Channels.....Nothing is exclusive bro....Everything is money.....

So the conclusion, You may be right but broadcasters look from the lense of money...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock