Discussion Should TV shows be released early on streaming platforms?

Should episodes of TV shows come on OTT platforms before it's TV broadcast?

• Total voters
Broadcasters see those people who take ott for watching shows before than tv thus adding thier subscribers.
But they aren't thinking this that it's harming thier channel only by reducing viewers on tv

Broadcasters should care more about their TV audience imo. Popular TV channels are not priced cheaper and also include lots of ads, exclusivity for latest episodes is the least that can be done considering its a major revenue source. Bringing new episodes first on TV will also help in TRP ratings as more people will wait to watch that particular show on TV.

Agree with you. But the later you mention is part of the tv industry. They already have luxury of having decades old shows in their platform. By giving away the current product on OTT platform. Don't you think they are doing injustice by taking away exclusivity of satellite tv? This not only hurts their own channel. It also hurts DTH and cable industry as well.
India needs this digital upgrade. Anyways cable and DTH prices are going unnecessarily beyond boundaries with very less quality content. More and more people moving to OTT due to watch anything anytime. This watch before TV was just a successful experiment done by broadcasters.
Bringing new episodes first on TV will also help in TRP ratings as more people will wait to watch that particular show on TV.
Within the first experiment of bringing shows earlier on OTT platform, If ratings were decreased they would've made changes there itself or they might have even stopped it.

Despite releasing it earlier, people anyways watch it. Bro people even watch repeat of already watched episode 😂.

Simple Reason
Still OTT has limited reach due to less internet penetration, even mobile internet speed unstable and now even rates going up. So having TV content available on OTT does not affect TV ratings in even minor way, just a too tiny loss. 2ndly 24 Hrs earlier release of TV content on OTT is for paid subscribers so whatever little loss happens it gets covered with this and ads

Lastly when stage comes that large number of people start watching content on OTT then most of content will go under paid subscription till that time enjoy free hindi or regional or hindi dubbed hollywood movies on platforms like Disney+ Hotstar. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video already has all content under pay wall as they have to earn only thru that but a freemium ad supported version will come very soon

Simple Reason
Still OTT has limited reach due to less internet penetration, even mobile internet speed unstable and now even rates going up. So having TV content available on OTT does not affect TV ratings in even minor way, just a too tiny loss. 2ndly 24 Hrs earlier release of TV content on OTT is for paid subscribers so whatever little loss happens it gets covered with this and ads

Lastly when stage comes that large number of people start watching content on OTT then most of content will go under paid subscription till that time enjoy free hindi or regional or hindi dubbed hollywood movies on platforms like Disney+ Hotstar. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video already has all content under pay wall as they have to earn only thru that but a freemium ad supported version will come very soon
Speaking as a tv viewer. I think there should be some exclusivity and spoiler free entertainment content for me. Imagine at a rural village if someone had watched the show with mobile internet had watch the show on a OTT platform. Than the guy shoes up at a village meeting where he gossips about the show. He could've just ruined the episode for the entire village. Don't ya think villagers deserves something better over the gossipy spoiler man.

Even at OnlyTech forum when we discuss OTT content we use spoiler code even when content is released simultaneously to avoid ruining it for others. Spoiler is a big problem.

Speaking as a tv viewer. I think there should be some exclusivity and spoiler free entertainment content for me. Imagine at a rural village if someone had watched the show with mobile internet had watch the show on a OTT platform. Than the guy shoes up at a village meeting where he gossips about the show. He could've just ruined the episode for the entire village. Don't ya think villagers deserves something better over the gossipy spoiler man.

Even at OnlyTech forum when we discuss OTT content we use spoiler code even when content is released simultaneously to avoid ruining it for others. Spoiler is a big problem.

Not an issue right now.... In partly urban or elite areas this may or may not b issue. Later on when OTT, internet reach increase, diff companies will change strategy. Till then a suggestion to u and others, just walk away from the person who is giving spoilers if u r that much interested in watching the show to know info

I am actually of the opinion that Shows must be simulcast on OTT as well. Because in recent times I applied the sum and OTT subscriptions (excluding Netflix) were more cheaper than My Yearly Dish plan. If simulcast is done then no issues. But of course this is only reserved to those who have a WiFi Connection. For those who do not have a WiFi connection for them regional specific packs or options like Zing SUPER FTA are the best

Last edited:
i think NO if broadcasters launch a show/episode 1st on OTT then next thing u know that show is uploaded on piracy site will download and watch it and broadcasters will make loss and eventually shut down the channel.....OTT should as rerun and for some new/different content

i think NO if broadcasters launch a show/episode 1st on OTT then next thing u know that show is uploaded on piracy site will download and watch it and broadcasters will make loss and eventually shut down the channel.....OTT should as rerun and for some new/different content

Here people do not have stable internet speed to download even basic image or article page and u r saying people will download pirated content. Those having internet will watch legally as all of it is free while majority with half baked or no internet will watch on dth or cable. Right now companies r smartly catering to both users and earning from both thru ads or subscription

Ott and TV has its separate audience base. From a perspective of only OTT customer I can say there is no harm in releasing Fresh episodes on OTT platform than the TV. Lot of users now a days shifting to OTT platform for various reason and one reason of them is Ad free shows and when Ott can serve the purpose that is ad free then why not giving fresh episode on ott platform first than TV. I m completely happy the way they are giving OTT more preference.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock