Siddharth Malhotra’s Alchemy Films to launch seven shows on top GECs in 2017

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
After starting his own production house Alchemy Films in 2016, producer-director Siddharth P Malhotra is all set to expand his repertoire with the launch of seven new shows in 2017.

Five shows will be launched in the first half of the year by May–June 2017 in the primetime slot. The shows will be aired on top Hindi GECs like Colors, Sony Entertainment Television, Star Plus, Zee TV and Life OK.

The first show, ‘Woh Apna Sa’, will be launched on Zee TV on 23 January. It will air from Monday to Friday at 10 pm. The producer has a yearlong story arc planned for the series which is written by Raghuveer Shekhawa. The series features Sudeep Sahir, Disha Parmar and Ridhi Dogra Vashisth in lead roles.

While the show was rumoured to be based on Malhotra’s directorial debut film ‘We Are Family’, he reveals that there is no similarity whatsoever. “People are assuming it’s similar to ‘We Are Family’, but the show is quite different from the movie. Here we will see a unique take on affair outside marriage. The story highlights that it’s not necessary that a mistress is a bad woman; it can be other way round,” he adds.

The next show will air on Star Plus. Tentatively titled ‘Kya Tu Meri Laage’, the show will feature Bollywood actor Minisha Lamba along with other TV actors. Written by Nina Arora, the shoot for the show will start next week.

The production house will create one show for Sony Entertainment Television, which is said to be an unrequited love story, and one show for Colors. The producer-director did not reveal much about the show as it is still in the development stage.

Malhotra is in talks with Life OK and Star Plus for his fifth show.

Speaking about the genres and the look of the series that he plans to produce, Malhotra states that he is looking forward to creating his own signature stories. “If we see a Dharma (Production) films, YRF Films or Balaji (Telefilms) series, they all have a certain mark. Audiences can immediately identify their films or series. I hope to create such signature on audience with my stories. With Alchemy Films, we want to push boundaries with out-of-box thinking. We want to create stories that are unthinkable, like ‘Iccha Pyaari Naagin’. The stories I am launching are different. They will have all the masala and will be filmy but not the regular style. All my stories are created with a defined arc. I want the character to grow through my story and not the other way round,” he explains.

While the producer is looking to explore new genres, he dreads the saas-bahu saga. He amiably admits that he is not comfortable producing saas-bahu soaps. He comments that all the shows that he has created, be it ‘Dil Mil Gayye’, ‘Divya Aur Baati Hum’ or ‘Icchapyari Naagin’, or is currently making don’t come under that particular genre. The producer-director is happy that channels are accepting him and supporting him in his journey to create his own brand with Alchemy Films.

In 2016, Malhotra left Cinevista to start his own production house with his wife Sapna Malhotra and for him it was challenging to start from the scratch. He received his break when Sab TV and his company developed a concept together for ‘Icchapyari Naagin’. He is glad that the channel believed in him and the audience accepted the show as well.

“I track the rating of my shows regularly, and I am glad that ‘Icchapyari’ is getting a positive response. All I want is to do justice to my story and the channel who had faith in me,” he says.

With Cinevista being a family company, it was an emotionally difficult decision for the producer to walk out and start on its own. Explaining his decision to move out of Cinevista, Malhotra says, “Cinevista was started by my grandfather so it has been there for generations. I have learned a lot from Cinevista and will always be grateful. But, I wanted to tell different stories and wanted to do more than what I was doing. So, I spoke to my seniors who are my uncle and father and told them that I want to create my own identity. It was an amicable decision.”

With Alchemy films, the producer is planning to focus more on quality than quantity. He plans to release some good shows. He is also planning to start another division in his company which will focus on stage plays. “Being in the industry for over a decade, I have always had a fascination with theatre. I would really like to explore that platform as it will be whole new challenge,” he adds.

Malhotra is also directing a film for another production house. It will be his second film after Dharma Production’s ‘We Are Family’.

http://www.televisionpost.com/tvp-special/siddharth-malhotras-alchemy-films-to-launch-seven-shows-on-top-gecs-in-2017/

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock