SMIT Corp to launch STB-free viewing of pay channels in India

tech_genie

Reaction score
SMIT Corp to launch STB-free viewing of pay channels in India

The Hong Kong-headquartered SMIT Corporation will soon join hands with an Indian direct-to-home (DTH) player and a major consumer durable maker to offer set top box-free viewing of pay channels, said an official.

"By June, we plan to launch our product tying up with a DTH player and a television maker. Our conditional access module (CAM) will enable people with integrated digital televisions (IDTV) to view television channels without a set top box (STB)," Himanshu Sharma, country manager, India at SMIT Corporation said.

Declining to share the names of the DTH layer and the television maker, Sharma did not confirm or deny that the consumer durable maker is of Korean origin.

He said SMIT Corporation is a global player in the CAM domain selling its products in Europe and other markets out of its Chinese factory.

"The product will be like a giant sized SIM card. It will have to be inserted behind IDTVs and the DTH/cable operators can programme the channels that could be watched," Sharma said.

"There is no need for a separate set top box with several wires jutting out. Again there will not be any separate remote. The power consumption will be far lesser than a set top box," he added.

Queried about the cost, Sharma said: "In Europe we sell our product for $17. In India it will be lower than that as the market is big."

He said the company is looking at the future market as all the televisions will have a slot for CAMs.

"Around five million televisions sets are being sold in India per year. And all of them will have the facility for CAM as it reduces the inventory cost for the television makers," he said.

Asked about the market reaction, Sharma remarked: "DTH players agree that CAMs is the way forward. Cable television operators are not open to the idea, but they will realise in course of time."

He said the cable operators can broadcast only a limited number of television channels and hence they can charge broadcasters a fancy carriage fee. But when CAM becomes popular the concept of carriage fee will vanish.

Source: SMIT Corp to launch STB-free viewing of pay channels in India

i am really witing these type of deives to come to market from last year.

hope SMIT will launch it soon in sucessful manner.

but all DTH operator shud enabled their CI port. so that CAM can be enabled.

i have doubt, does anybody from europe or other country have used these?

does these CAM slot is able to receive any digital signal? satellite or cable.

this product is DVB-C or DVB-S?

USD17= INR850.

i am expecting company shud launch these device at rs500

which must include device+Viewing card/digi card/smart cardof operator+ initial free subsciption of 1-3months.

so that exiting user can easily chage over.

curretly what are idtv option available.

let us see, what is the proper way for Its works. If it decrypt all pay channels, not need to buy any dth operator STB. And what is the charge for their CI ?
I think it will work in all STB, while the company is also looking for CI slot in TV set.

Have to start a dth start only with cam which is fully portability

this will lead to se;; of these CAM card outside india very easily.

so dth operator will gain more customer.

and many new dealer will flurish in pakistan, bangalesh, UAE, singapore, shi lanka.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock