• Thread starter Drake
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10
  • Views: Views 2,275

Drake

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I came seeking advice and I hope members here will be kind enough to guide me.

I have a TataSky Plus SD DVR laying in my store room as on 2015 I switched to Airtel HD DVR mainly bcoz Tata Sky at that time wasn't offering a good upgrade deal for TataSky HD Plus. I still have my Subscriber ID as I didn't surrender my connection.

Am very happy and satisfied with Airtel DVR and my Airtel Connection completed 5 years this June. But since last couple of months my Airtel DVR sometimes act funny and I've a feeling that it may not last long but am not sure.

Now, Tata Sky recently slashed the price of HD Plus so shall I recharge my connection and put in an upgrade request? See, if Tata Sky continues the production and later hike the price no issue but what am afraid of is that if they decide to Discontinue and later my Airtel DVR stop working that would be a disaster.

Regards.

I am pretty sure they won't stop supporting the box for until next 3.5 years atleast. As they are selling the box with 3 year warranty. So they won't discontinue recording which is the main feature of the box.

I am pretty sure they won't stop supporting the box for until next 3.5 years atleast. As they are selling the box with 3 year warranty. So they won't discontinue recording which is the main feature of the box.

Bro, I'm not talking about the Recording Feature or Firmware Update. It's just that all DTH providers are pushing for Hybrid Android Set Top Box and presently only TataSky has a proper DVR on sale. Assuming that due to the high price only handful of people go for HD+ I've feeling that once TS gets rid of current stock of HD+ they MIGHT DISCONTINUE the product and focus on Binge Plus.

Would really appreciate if someone has any concrete news on the future of DVR and whether I should pick one now as am uncertain about how long my Airtel DVR gonna hold

Last edited:
Bro, I'm not talking about the Recording Feature or Firmware Update. It's just that all DTH providers are pushing for Hybrid Android Set Top Box and presently only TataSky has a proper DVR on sale. Assuming that due to the high price only handful of people go for HD+ I've feeling that once TS gets rid of current stock of HD+ they MIGHT DISCONTINUE the product and focus on Binge Plus.

Would really appreciate if someone has any concrete news on the future of DVR and whether I should pick one now as am uncertain about how long my Airtel DVR gonna hold
The focus is already on Binge+. Hence, the huge discount is given on PVR boxes. Most people doesn't need DVRs in this day and age of affordable internet. Also the hardware cost is excessive. You can expect a expensive version of Binge+ along with usb recording in the near future.

Buddy chose an airtel of tata sky hybrid box.... U can access all shows thru apps/internet so recording is not needed. Also just to let u know airtel wil enable USB/Hard Drive recording feature on Xstream box in near future, not sure if tata sky will b doing so. Incase u have airtel postpaid, broadband too then opt for "one airtel" plan where apart from other benefits, xstream box is being given for free with refundable security deposit. Tata Sky Binge+ is also a nice option with free subscription of many apps and as people have said somewhat better hardware compared to airtel

Tata Sky HD+ might b discontinued after current stock gets sold, as Dj bhai said DVR does not hold much selling point in times where internet has made major inroads and has all content available 24/7.

Buddy chose an airtel of tata sky hybrid box.... U can access all shows thru apps/internet so recording is not needed. Also just to let u know airtel wil enable USB/Hard Drive recording feature on Xstream box in near future, not sure if tata sky will b doing so. Incase u have airtel postpaid, broadband too then opt for "one airtel" plan where apart from other benefits, xstream box is being given for free with refundable security deposit. Tata Sky Binge+ is also a nice option with free subscription of many apps and as people have said somewhat better hardware compared to airtel

Tata Sky HD+ might b discontinued after current stock gets sold, as Dj bhai said DVR does not hold much selling point in times where internet has made major inroads and has all content available 24/7.
Here's what I disagree about you. If users are seeking to acquire a DVR based box. I think this might be the last very last chance to acquire such hardware. As we both know the hardware is getting discontinued. In future we might not see any boxes with multiple tuners.

Here's what I disagree about you. If users are seeking to acquire a DVR based box. I think this might be the last very last chance to acquire such hardware. As we both know the hardware is getting discontinued. In future we might not see any boxes with multiple tuners.

my point is that dvr is not much needed in age of internet, apps

In future we might not see any boxes with multiple tuners.
👆This....This is my main concern. I'm using a DVR since 2009 and I just can't imagine living with a standard single tunner stb. Yes, Streaming Services are taking over but inorder to take advantage of that one needs a High Speed and STABLE Internet. I do have BSNL Broadband, Speed is fine but is it STABLE? No! Also, Jio is yet to lay cables in my vicinity so I don't see myself fully shifting to Streaming Services anytime soon.

Atleast with DVR I can Record and Watch my favourite TV shows, Movies LEGALLY!

And one more thing, does the HD+ requires SuperLNB or it'll work with my Dual Port LNB?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock