Sony owes apology to Indian fans for the terrible coverage of Tokyo Olympics

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
I have had enough of it. It started with opening ceremony itself. We were waiting for over an hour to watch our contingent. When they appeared on screen. They minimised that and put Sports Minister along with contingent in picture in picture. We couldn't watch our contingent properly. Thankfully, Doordarshan covered it and shared it on social media which ironically is disabled for some reason. Forget that. It's opening ceremony. We forgive you.

Than I am coming to today's broadcast of all the sport events. Yesterday, when Cricket match got delayed due to rain. There was a scroll at month about the delay. They could've aired a similar scroll highlighting on which channel Indian athletes are featured. Nothing today. I missed more than half the rounds of archery which I was looking forward since morning as it was airing on Sony Ten 1. Got half the feed on Sony Six. A channel not even advertised to Olympics is airing matches. And this gets interesting. At around 9-10 am. All ten channels of Sony's Sports cluster are airing the same men badminton event. They didn't switch until time for studio event. Than only we got weightlifting.

Than let me get to events. They are airing one event. Let's say women's football. Goes to break. They replace the coverage with boxing. Than out of blue. It's gone. Same with volleyball. They have picture in picture ad system. Yet, they go on regular ads to change the events.

There is no way to know. Which channel is airing what event and what time? Most of the matches are incompleted. They are literally clueless. Not just me many on social media have complaint about this. Sony needs own up, apologize and sort out the airing. Or viewers will lose faith in them.

Source

Yes Doordarshan is more intelligent. I continuously watched on DD Sports HD on Dishtv.They switched immediately to Chirag Shettys/ Rankireddys doubles badmintion and the other Indian centric event when there were match points after match points and I was able to at least see the victory. I also was under the impression that Olympics will be shown on Ten 1 and Ten 2 and in between they started Euro Highlights on Ten 1 after some time and specifically started these channels and repent now on my decision as I was unaware about Ten 3 showing Indian centric content.

@iDJ bro you forgot to mention one other thing that is

it's ok sony sports showing palat de ad but why when
mirabai chanu medal reciving ceremony.

sony sports showed medal ceremony in split screen
mirabai chanu deserved full screen. after yesterday now today bad broadcasting by Sony sports
Almost got anxious. Just like yesterday when they didn't show Indian contingents properly. Thankfully, they switched to full screen.

This is the first time SPN is handling a very big event like Olympics. Although Star did a good job in previous editions, DD's coverage any day beats Private Broadcasters.
No doubt DD with its single channel often does better than Sony with its 10 channels. However, DD has not been able to provide HD coverage until this year, and that too only on DDFD thanks to the distinction between DD Sports 1.0 and 2.0. Not sure if DD had HD coverage in Rio 2016, when Star had the private rights. For London 2012 since DD was the only broadcaster, there was no private broadcaster and hence no HD coverage.

This is the first time SPN is handling a very big event like Olympics. Although Star did a good job in previous editions, DD's coverage any day beats Private Broadcasters.
They got 3 years to hire experienced producers. Don't tell me someone with experience wasn't available for hire. Meanwhile Sony along with Ten Sports team have aired atheletic events like Commonwealth Games in the past.

They got 3 years to hire experienced producers. Don't tell me someone with experience wasn't available for hire. Meanwhile Sony along with Ten Sports team have aired atheletic events like Commonwealth Games in the past.
That's there though

No doubt DD with its single channel often does better than Sony with its 10 channels. However, DD has not been able to provide HD coverage until this year, and that too only on DDFD thanks to the distinction between DD Sports 1.0 and 2.0. Not sure if DD had HD coverage in Rio 2016, when Star had the private rights. For London 2012 since DD was the only broadcaster, there was no private broadcaster and hence no HD coverage.
London 2012 was the first Olympics that aired on a private broadcaster. Star ESPN did that. That too on HD too.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock