Spectrum Bonanza

abhinaba

Contributor
Reaction score
Tata Sky has found itself in a happy position of being faced with a glut of spectrum after one of ISRO’s satellites — INSAT-4A — failed to ‘die’ on time. Tata Sky was using 432 MHz of spectrum on INSAT-4A to deliver content to the Indian subcontinent and was behind players like Videocon D2h, which has 540 MHz, and Dish TV, which had 648 MHz. INSAT-4A was supposed to reach ‘end of life’ in 2017, and to replace it, ISRO sent GSAT-10 to the same orbital location with 432 MHz of capacity. As luck would have it, both satellites are working simultaneously. However, because the older satellite can die any time, ISRO cannot sell the capacity on its new satellite to a new player. For the same reason, it cannot sell its capacity on the older satellite either, to any new player. As a result, Tata Sky has been permitted to use both satellites at the same time, and now has about 828 MHz of spectrum at its disposal.

Source: Tata Sky to add five more HD channels to take total to 86 | Ultra News - Tata Sky, the Indian DTH operator with the highest amount of spectrum and ...

joykar99 said:
What happens when gsat 10 finally dies back to squre one

It wont die for another atleast 8 years. :sp
But my question is Will the TPspace will be sufficient after insat4a get shutdown? :huh :huh

98shubhamk said:
But my question is Will the TPspace will be sufficient after insat4a get shutdown? :huh :huh

Yep thats the question? But Tata sky may have any future plans..;)

Last edited by a moderator:
SPANDAN said:
G-Sat15 is there to Provide Tp's after Insat4
Tata Sky is already using some tps of this sattelite.... If I am not wrong Gsat has 12 Ku Band sattelite.
Will there be any space left after that???

98shubhamk said:

How can you say it wont die for another 8 years i mean it was supposed to die this year and thats why gsat 10 was sent by isro as backup

joykar99 said:
How can you say it wont die for another 8 years i mean it was supposed to die this year and thats why gsat 10 was sent by isro as backup

They may use asiasat 7/8 :k

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock