Breaking Sports 18 (Viacom18 network) bags cricket South Africa rights for coming 7 years

• Thread starter RdX
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 45
  • Views: Views 8,252
Westindies Exclusive with fancode and New Zealand with Amazon Prime, Both cricket boards Exclusively sold Broadcasting and Streaming Rights to OTTs, so not possible currently these boards Rights Negotiations.
Bangladesh? Zimbabwe? Ireland? Scotland? UAE?

Bangladesh? Zimbabwe? Ireland? Scotland? UAE?
Test nations Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland have broadcasting and Streaming partners whenever india tour these nations. Associate Scotland and UAE remain same we can see only if they qualified for ACC/ICC events matches, otherwise Scotland playing with other associate countries still we can watch on YouTube or Fancode.

Only having cricket rights is not enough that is what Viacom18 understamds very well. You guys all are saying distribution is poor. I agree that till now it was poor but now they have the 2 biggest sporting event on the planet with them the FIFA world Cup and Olympics. All the DTH will add Sports18 before Nov 20 coz I cant say about other states but in Kerala, Goa and WB this is the biggest sporting event for us this is a bigger event than India at Cricket World Cup and if this channel is not added DTH subscribers will just change their DTH operators so all DTH providers will add it in the next couple of days.

With regards to other areas they will also have few crazy football fans so some of the Cable operators will also add these channels. Even if they dont add it within 2 years the Olympics is coming do you seriously think any Cable operator will not add a channel that has the telecast rights of Olympics? So I expect this channel to be added soon. In my opinion Sports18 are currently having the most properties with the least number of channels. They have the FIFA World Cup coming up. Then in Jan Feb they have the SA20. Then in Sports18 they have weekend matches of La Liga, Serie A, French League. Whereas in JioCinema they will have the IPL live. Along with that they BWF. Also for almost 10 months every year daily they have live ATP and NBA. So for 1 sports channel they have so much sporting properties.

Sony is losing properties left right and centre so much so they are telecasting highlights of Champions League and WWE. They have the ILT20 which will be there in Jan Feb. True they got US Open and French Open but quite honestly that is just 2 weeks French Open and 2 weeks US Open along with 2 US Open Atp events. So max coverage of 6 weeks. However the US Open timing is not India Primetime I think Star knows it and thats why they didnt go aggressively for it because not many people will wake up at 5am everyday to watch the US Open matches I know that coz I used to do it to watch Roger, Rafa and Novak play daily. They got the ICC rights now with Zee but they overpaid coz if you ask me already most of the rich and middle class have moved to OTT and within 3 years when 5G reaches every corner of the country most of them will move to OTT. TV will be there but majority will be on OTT and expect OTT ad rates to be greater than TV ad rates one reason why Star wanted the digital rights with themselves till 2031.

Star still has IPL left with them that is 2 months daily content live. Then they have EPL on weekends. SA rights till 2024. They they have hockey rights not many watch those. There is ISL with one match a day. Now they have got the Australian Cricket rights so that is there during Nov Dec Jan Feb. Big Bash during the same period and in June July when there is no EPL they have 2 weeks of Wimbledon along with 1 week of Queens. Also there is Formula 1 races for 20-24 weekends. Also next year they have the Cricket World Cup in India which will be primetime in October Nov.

So once the FIFA World Cup starts expect Sports18 to be distributed to most of the Cable Operators in the country and all of the DTH Operators. Also I dont know how many of you remember but Ten Sports started in India in April 2002 but they were added to most cable platforms only in June 2002 when they had rights for the FIFA World Cup. Sports18 is just following what Ten did way back in 2002 by promoting their channel and making sure it gets distributed with the Greatest show on Earth the FIFA World Cup

Newly born 6 months old Baby Sports18 Acquiring everything it's doesn't mean they will get success and Revenue on both TV/OTT. Agree football craze in Kerala, Goa and WB, But Greatest event on earth FIFA world cup buzz quite opposite in India without India Team everytime.

Fifa World Cup is not biggest event in India nor it will be unless our very own Country team participate in it.

Fifa was at it best during Brazil Dominating tyms of 1998-2006.

After 2010, Fifa Craze is not that so much compared to past with few teams like Germany, Argentina & Spain matches are worth watching.

Newly born 6 months old Baby Sports18 Acquiring everything it's doesn't mean they will get success and Revenue on both TV/OTT. Agree football craze in Kerala, Goa and WB, But Greatest event on earth FIFA world cup buzz quite opposite in India without India Team everytime.
Fifa World Cup is not biggest event in India nor it will be unless our very own Country team participate in it.
I said it is the biggest event in these 3 states not India as a whole
Fifa was at it best during Brazil Dominating tyms of 1998-2006.

After 2010, Fifa Craze is not that so much compared to past with few teams like Germany, Argentina & Spain matches are worth watching.
AFAIK Football popularity has been increasing now there are more fans for European nations the new generation are watching matches for CR7 and Messi and respective clubs than national teams. Now if you consider the case in Kerala especially the youth are now more inclined towards Argentina and Portugal whereas 10 - 15 years back it was Brazil like you said.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock