Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,451
  • Views Views: Views 1,674,236

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
I am not interested in arguing or defending or whatever. But as a person who read all these pages of rants, I think I should share this article from 2013.

Sports channels gain from sharing feed with DD

I don't think pvt broadcasters are unhappy sharing feed with DD. Anyway they know they have to share feed with DD. So they can make a cost effective bid at auction. It's as simple as that.

Earlier when live sporting events specially Cricket aired free on DD National in all dth platform and cable these operator and channels were unhappy because they lost revenue because many people didn't subscribe these pay sports channels because match was available on DD National free of cost and second thing they also lost at revenue due to less number of reach of viewers even DD also faced huge loss because during live match DD National not able to telecast their regular show from which they generate more revenue compare to cricket match,so everybody was unhappy that's why Sports channel knocked the door of Supreme Court and Supreme Court decided that free live feed of all major Sporting event will be available only on DD free Dish and DTT service ,so DD shifted all Sporting event from DD National to DD Sports and made separate feed for DD free Dish ,now pay TV and DTH cable operator doesn't lose a single subscriber because of DD Sports, everybody have to subscribe specific channel if he want to watch any of Sporting event in private dth and cable platform,so the don't loss subscriber or add revenue due to sharing feed with DD that's why recently amendment of Sporting act ,no paytv sports channel was unhappy,everybody is happy now except one person...😆

Indian market is a ad based model. Broadcaster want to reach maximum viewers so that they can earn good from advt.. They do not care about subscription revenue.
Even viewers are also at profit. Just subscribe for the date @67 paise a day and unsubscribe when you do not need.

Article end clearly mentioned First Article Published on 2006 and Again same Article Republised/Edited on 2013.

I will request you Read this Below very useful Article with facts from 2018, hope someone will stop mocking again and again for hiding facts.

Above mentioned article not from so called Arguing media experts, it's article from Chintamani Rao one of the founders of BARC.

Best way to increase viewership of any sports is making it accessible to more people to create interest. Look at how F1 viewership is increasing over the years. Same is with International cricket in India. If I watch India's bilateral matches on DD FreeDish. I would slowly develop taste for cricket and want to watch England or Australia's bilateral series too. Remember cricket also grew in this country by paying Doordarshan to broadcast them. There are many means for broadcaster to earn money. Even if someone doesn't have pay DTH. They have phones and laptops where they could pay and watch on OTT platforms.

So Sony Pictures Sports Network once again today boycott Women's Big Bash League both matches live airing, whole day cricket highlights airing on Sony Six. Some days back some members explains about Star Sports highlights and defending Sony, most of us shouldn't act like biased. Also if Indian broadcasters have Broadcasting Rights then they shouldn't Act like we don't have Viewers and Ad Revenue.

Back
Top Bottom