Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,451
  • Views Views: Views 1,674,236

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Amazon could've sold TV rights to any private players and asked them to promote Amazon Prime heavily. Instead of letting DD get it for free.

Why would a private sports broadcaster promote Amazon Prime Video heavily , they would b paying a big amount to acquire TV broadcast rights from Amazon and same does not have any terms which state that concerned broadcaster needs to promote Amazon Prime Video. If Amazon buys ad slots they will get promoted on that channel

They will get other OTT matches to watch for free. Along with bilateral and India specific matches. They even air Wimbledon. Wouldn't be surprised if they even air F1 when they is a race in India.

Private Sports Broadcasters offers lot better viewing experience so there isn't much risk of Pay TV subscribers shifting to DD Free Dish or even those having required financial resources to ditch Pay TV platforms and opt for only DD Free Dish. FTA and Pay TV both have a dedicated audience base and same will continue to grow bcoz of various factors, broadcasters need to cater to those rather than worrying about losing subscription numbers on Pay TV platforms

Anything is better than DD Sports and 1Sports. Just for one reason lack of HD channels.

Anyhow I was watching North East Olympics yesterday on DD Sports. They didn't even had any timer for football matches, lol. The commentary was excellent. But got a headache by listening to half in English and half in Hindi.

I agree that presentation wise private broadcasters hold a major edge but as far as picture / audio quality is concerned i find watching matches on DD Sports to b a good experience as they air events in 16:9 video aspect ratio.

Doordarshan surely needs lot improvements in other areas

Only if DD gets commercial Ads then DD will share revenue, else it's lose for original Rights holder.

Due to sheer reach of DD Sports on DD Free Dish it tends to get lot of interest from advertisers when a key event is scheduled to air on it

I agree that presentation wise private broadcasters hold a major edge but as far as picture / audio quality is concerned i find watching matches on DD Sports to b a good experience as they air events in 16:9 video aspect ratio.

Doordarshan surely needs lot improvements in other areas
That has to be a joke. They have some of the worst PQ among broadcasters. ILoveMusic and Sun Bangla are rare SD channels with good PQ.

Why would a private sports broadcaster promote Amazon Prime Video heavily , they would b paying a big amount to acquire TV broadcast rights from Amazon and same does not have any terms which state that concerned broadcaster needs to promote Amazon Prime Video. If Amazon buys ad slots they will get promoted on that channel
For sharing an exclusive rights.
Private Sports Broadcasters offers lot better viewing experience so there isn't much risk of Pay TV subscribers shifting to DD Free Dish or even those having required financial resources to ditch Pay TV platforms and opt for only DD Free Dish. FTA and Pay TV both have a dedicated audience base and same will continue to grow bcoz of various factors, broadcasters need to cater to those rather than worrying about losing subscription numbers on Pay TV platforms
Only popular and select content. Can you even give any reason to subscribe to normal Star Sports 1,2,3 channels when some local event or bilateral series is on? Even when there are multiple courts available to stream on Hotstar. On TV they will only show 1 or 2 feed. They are pushing hardcore fans to OTT platforms.

Only 6 matches. Sports 18 Khel will air all matches. 😜
I dont think so coz once Abu Dhabi T10 starts it will be aired on Sports18 Khel and that happens at same time as WC so I think only these 8 matches will be aired on DD Sports and I dont know how many matches on Sports18 Khel as Abu Dhabi T10 from Nov 23 to Dec 4

I dont think so coz once Abu Dhabi T10 starts it will be aired on Sports18 Khel and that happens at same time as WC so I think only these 8 matches will be aired on DD Sports and I dont know how many matches on Sports18 Khel as Abu Dhabi T10 from Nov 23 to Dec 4
Let's see. They are advertising both. T10 will end within 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom