Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,450
  • Views Views: Views 1,674,101

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
I think Sports18 Khel will air those matches which r mandatory to b shared with doordarshan as well as few other key matches which will help attract audience towards it. FIFA World Cup will give a boost to ratings of this new channel and same is very much needed. If viacom18 is able to deliver great success with sports channel on DD Free Dish then Star/Disney and Sony will take similar steps to launch such channels & provide relevant content on it to DD Free Dish viewers. They should have taken this decision long back as there is no fear of losing out Pay TV audience to DD Free Dish bcoz of taking this step, it is all a far fetched and wrong assumption to make or think about, there might b a very minute churn (shift from Pay TV to DD Free Dish) that too temporary and not hurt finances of the broadcasters as they earning so much more from ad revenue on such FTA Sports channels. Such FTA Sports channels should remain to be DD Fee Dish exclusive or if available on Pay TV platforms then b blocked for duration of said event
I think only less num of games will be aired on Sports18 Khel as the target audience for Sports18 and Sports18Khel are different. I think they will only air important matches like Opener, QF, SF and Final on Sports18Khel and to all those who want to watch every match those audience would be asked to watch in Sports18 and Sports18Khel is for those people who want to watch only important match like QF, SF nd Final thats all.

Looks like as yesterday post in tweet sony only mentioned dth platform cable operators made complain
7GedWPi.jpg

Another twist...Means Amazon prime denied to give live feed to dd sports for all platform so first time in history private dth and cable platform won't telecast a cricket series....
Diffrence between 69 rs series digital btoadcaster vs above 100 rs digital broadcaster ( 1st one fan code shared and 2nd one prime denied)
Amazon could've sold TV rights to any private players and asked them to promote Amazon Prime heavily. Instead of letting DD get it for free.
Today sony sports during aus vs England match time the amount of time they show prime video india vs newzealand series they should share tv right with them

Looks like as yesterday post in tweet sony only mentioned dth platform cable operators made complain
7GedWPi.jpg

Diffrence between 69 rs series digital btoadcaster vs above 100 rs digital broadcaster ( 1st one fan code shared and 2nd one prime denied)

Today sony sports during aus vs England match time the amount of time they show prime video india vs newzealand series they should share tv right with them
Amazon prime would have bought all the ad slots by paying money Sony wouldnt be doing it for free and Amazon Prime is well within their rights not to telecast it on TV

It's proven now that Sports Act is partial. It benefits government owned Prasar Bharti. Not the viewers. We private DTH owners will be made to switch TV for OTT and pay extra to stream a match. Meanwhile on Prasar Bharti's own DTH. Match airs for me. Does government really thinks we will have to own two DTH to watch TV?

It's proven now that Sports Act is partial. It benefits government owned Prasar Bharti. Not the viewers. We private DTH owners will be made to switch TV for OTT and pay extra to stream a match. Meanwhile on Prasar Bharti's own DTH. Match airs for me. Does government really thinks we will have to own two DTH to watch TV?
I told it last day itself Government should stop the Sports Act if you want to broadcast something you should have the rights for it. DD should not be allowed to broadcast anything for free let alone earn 25% ad revenue from it by not paying a single rupee

No buddy. There is no partiality involved. Whole Purpose of the Act is to make available sports events of National Importance to those who are from economically weaker sections and do not have resources to opt for costly Pay TV or OTT platforms. However i would suggest that government should make one amendment in this act & include a point that incase any private tv sports broadcaster does not come forward to acquire rights of certain/few sports events which are included of this act then it is binding on concerned OTT platform holding TV rights to share the same with DD on revenue sharing basis model or if even OTT platform does not hold rights then DD should acquire the rights directly from concerned board/organization .

This would address all the issues

No buddy. There is no partiality involved. Whole Purpose of the Act is to make available sports events of National Importance to those who are from economically weaker sections and do not have resources to opt for costly Pay TV or OTT platforms. However i would suggest that government should make one amendment in this act & include a point that incase any private tv sports broadcaster does not come forward to acquire rights of certain/few sports events which are included of this act then it is binding on concerned OTT platform holding TV rights to share the same with DD on revenue sharing basis model or if even OTT platform does not hold rights then DD should acquire the rights directly from concerned board/organization .

I have no objection with DD broadcasting events of National Importance what I object to is DD making money out of it If you are doing it as a service then give all the money to the broadcaster who has the rights. If you want to make profit then you should buy the rights.

Irony here is private cable and DTH users pay 18% GST to government. Yet, free users gets the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom