Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,442
  • Views Views: Views 1,672,265

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
It is there. Read full list.
Sorry, I am not able to find. It tells only about certain tournaments.
Could you please quote the lines?

Football/ Hockey bilateral (friendlies) are not covered as per the rule, I think.

So for the sake of listen in hindi language feed people have to opt for mtv sd while they can see that match on hd 🤣🤣🤣

What a strange strategy of viacom18
Most of the football fans watch it in English so it is kept in HD. The people who watch football ocassionally watch it in Hindi and regional languages coz quite honestly the quality of commentary is different between the English commentary and those in Hindi and regional language

Football/ Hockey bilateral (friendlies) are not covered as per the rule, I think.

nlp7Y3Q.jpg

I have never seen Sultan Azlan Shah being telecasted on DD Sports same with U17 Mens FIFA WC never seen it telecasted on DD Sports except when India hosted it

Also how come no broadcaster was interested in telecasting the Winter Olympics?

Are there bilaterals too. I didn't know sorry, my mistake. This also explains why they are not in list.

Most of the football fans watch it in English so it is kept in HD. The people who watch football ocassionally watch it in Hindi and regional languages coz quite honestly the quality of commentary is different between the English commentary and those in Hindi and regional language
Compare how many channels were available from Sony for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Big thumbs down to Viacom18 for havin only one Sports18 channel, leading to overburdening, and not properly promoting MTV HD or distributing it. Suddenly MTV SD is airing matches when it was not supposed to. Complete amateur strategy.

Then again, older members may remember that for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Sony had to launch Sony Pix HD to show simultaneous matches, and Dish TV was the first to add it. But that was nowhere as bad as this circus and merry-go-round for Sports18. It is as though they are intentionally asking us to use JioCinema because there is no way to know which channel is showing which match.

Wrong. Subscribers of Private DTH / Cable TV Platforms/Operators won't get access to matches on DD Sports for all such events whose rights r held by Star Sports, Sony Sports, Viacom18 or any other Pay TV broadcasters.
But the Delhi High court judgement says that DD Sports should not be encrypted since it is mandatory and FTA.
So how can DTH subscribers be prevented from having DD Sports feed when matches are originally aired by Star/Sony, where they should share the feed with DD Sports as per Sports Act?

Then again, older members may remember that for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Sony had to launch Sony Pix HD to show simultaneous matches, and Dish TV was the first to add it. But that was nowhere as bad as this circus and merry-go-round for Sports18. It is as though they are intentionally asking us to use JioCinema because there is no way to know which channel is showing which match.
But sony never compromise top nation matches like brazil, Argentina even if match happened at same time if not wrong that time sony kix also available which gave regional feed but here for the sake of promote mtv hd they shift brazil Argentina Portugal match on mtv hd without proper distribute channel

Last edited:
I can understand Wimbledon with Indian players playing but how on earth is Euro Cup and FIFA WC national importance when no Indian team is there?

So as per Sports Act Euro Cup is national importance but Indian football in Asia Cup is not national importance coz I dont remember DD Sports telecasting India matches during 2019 Asia Cup or was it only on DD Freedish?

If there was no telecast then someone has to tell the government and the people who created the Act the definition of the word National

Bcoz prominent events from different sports are considered to be essential and made available to people who have limited financial resources and cannot access the same on Pay TV platforms.

Di not know about 2019 but i guess DD Sports does air India Football matches, sometimes even exclusively if it unavailable on Pay TV Channels

Govt should instruct DD to transmit all live matches without encryption irrespective of Pvt broadcaster, who will broadcast in HD & 4K.
Govt had brought draft amendment bill in 2018. But things didn't progress after that
But the Delhi High court judgement says that DD Sports should not be encrypted since it is mandatory and FTA.
So how can DTH subscribers be prevented from having DD Sports feed when matches are originally aired by Star/Sony, where they should share the feed with DD Sports as per Sports Act?
Because SC order supercedes HC order. That's why private dth/cable carry separate feed dd sports 2.0 when private tv channels have rights.

Back
Top Bottom