Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,413
  • Views: Views 1,443,211

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
If I am not wrong football, formula one, tennis etc. are not niche. Football is actually the most popular sports in the world. Meanwhile Kabaddi is niche. Having niche channels means airing something like cards, chess boxing, pool etc. Even eSports doesn't count as niche.
Here niche equals to toddler mother promising on not airing cricket on "special channels".
Yes. Niche sports would be Darts, Horse Racing, X-games, Curling, Fencing, Softball etc.
Sports like Football, Hockey, Tennis or Golf for that matter may be less popular in India but are not niche.
There was a time when illegal streams were all over the Internet, I'd started developing interest in Darts, Horse Racing and Golf on Sky Sports. 🤣🤣

Yes. Niche sports would be Darts, Horse Racing, X-games, Curling, Fencing, Softball etc.
Sports like Football, Hockey, Tennis or Golf for that matter may be less popular in India but are not niche.
There was a time when illegal streams were all over the Internet, I'd started developing interest in Darts, Horse Racing and Golf on Sky Sports. 🤣🤣
Does Sony still owns rights of X-games and Red Bull Air Race?

Was ESPN the channel airing chess during mid 2000s? I remember them airing pool.

How many live matches of Premier League makes it to tv every week
and last season of pl most suffrer arsenal, Newcastle and wolves supporters

they get to see matches star channel on tv but dabba channel star sports 3
while star sports 2 was busy showing ipl highlights which earlier showed pl matches when star ran out of channel due to time clash
it's high time star should launch star sports 3 hd so that atleast above mentioned team fan's not miss their team match on hd atleast when you have pl right give all matches proper respect by showing in hd not in dabba sd channel.

Last edited:
Off topic-
I strongly feeling that DD Sports will be available in all platforms during live Olympic Events starting from 23rdJuly..
Reason of my opinion first one during adv on Twitter dd sports not mentioning DD Sports 1.0 or DD freedish second one first time they mentioning lcn no of DD sports of private dth platform...
Let's see..

If I am not wrong football, formula one, tennis etc. are not niche. Football is actually the most popular sports in the world. Meanwhile Kabaddi is niche. Having niche channels means airing something like cards, chess boxing, pool etc. Even eSports doesn't count as niche.
Here niche equals to toddler mother promising on not airing cricket on "special channels".

You need to b country specific while slotting certain sports under niche category and in India except Cricket all r niche sports bcoz viewership is small if u compare with overall tv universe or even cricket ratings.
Buddy I understand ur concern and even i feel irritated with 8 chs airing cricket highlights but we can vent out as much frustration daily but things will not improve unless economics of sports business is changed or other sports start getting ratings compared to cricket or people start paying premium for fav sporting content

It is easy for us to comment but for broadcasters it is tough ask to recover investment and content on tv is planned accordingly

Request all to share feedback with broadcasters which mention ways to balance out all factors and cater to all rather than posting here daily

and last season of pl most suffrer arsenal, Newcastle and wolves supporters

they get to see matches star channel on tv but dabba channel star sports 3
while star sports 2 was busy showing ipl highlights which earlier showed pl matches when star ran out of channel due to time clash
it's high time star should launch star sports 3 hd so that atleast above mentioned team fan's not miss their team match on hd atleast when you have pl right give all matches proper respect by showing in hd not in dabba sd channel.

Star Sports 3 aired premier league matches for regional language viewers , for English Commentary select branded chs remained destination.
I am quite sure going forward things will improve but OTT is future of niche sports

It is easy for us to comment but for broadcasters it is tough ask to recover investment and content on tv is planned accordingly
I agree. I would have thought before burning most of my cash on one sporting property. Now I wouldn't have to launch ten channels sacrifing special offering channel and air cricket in cartoon channels to recover the cost. If I had agreed to a reasonable amount. Gentlemen's game wouldn't be treated as cartoons.

Does Sony still owns rights of X-games and Red Bull Air Race?

Was ESPN the channel airing chess during mid 2000s? I remember them airing pool.
no i guess those rights were there when e
ESPN was around.
ESPN aired a lot of niche sports back in the 2000s.

l0Gwmew.jpg

Kids shows live events on different channels
Legends shows highlights on different channels plus in regional feed too

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock