Breaking Star Sports 1 Malayalam nearing launch.

Zaxotes

Contributor
Reaction score
With Star Sports today announcing the Malayalam language commentary (6th regional feed) for the upcoming Indian Premier League; we may witness the launch of SS1 Malayalam soon.

Star India sells 76% inventory for IPL 2020 amid tough ad environment

"The broadcaster is also mulling a Malayalam feed and feels that there is an opportunity to grow viewership in the South. Star has already received the licence to launch Star Sports 1 Malayalam. The broadcaster is also aiming to attract more women and children viewers. "

I sincerely hope SS1 Malayalam is the last Star Sports regional channel, not including future HD channels. That said, it is a good thing for the football-crazy state to finally get a sports channel. However, distribution is a big issue as seen with SS1 Marathi and Nat Geo Tamil/Telugu.

I sincerely hope SS1 Malayalam is the last Star Sports regional channel, not including future HD channels. That said, it is a good thing for the football-crazy state to finally get a sports channel. However, distribution is a big issue as seen with SS1 Marathi and Nat Geo Tamil/Telugu.
If they launch ss1 malayalam, the distribution is not a problem in kerala.because it is a star dominating market.But i don't think they launch a channel,iam only expecting commentary on asianet plus

No Surprise, Asianet Head G. Madhavan Nair is now (Star + Walt Disney) Country Head...
Expecting some exciting changes in Asianet soon

The best way is to provide multiple audio feeds on a single channel in star sports 1 so that everyone can enjoy the feeds irrespective of their state.

The intention behind introduction of regional channels is ad revenue. Majority of ads on SS1 target white collar workers (last part of the ad is 'download the app now!) and not casual labourers or home makers. You see many ads on FMCG on GECs and not on sports channels. There is a vast scope for attracting them.

Regional sports channels are not just about commentary. They have tailored programming for their focus audience; for example, SS1 Kannada has programs on RCB, BFC, BB with exclusive content. Interviews in the regional language, pre and post match shows in regional language and many others. In a way this makes me feel really good as there is so much content production from the channel in a language I'd like to watch. Watching the scorecard graphics and broadcast graphics in Kannada script gives a sense of happiness. I don't know if the feeling is same for others but I definitely love this "giving importance" strategy. Audio feeds for a main channel in English can't accomplish all this.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock