Breaking Star Sports 1 Tamil HD Gets MIB License

Why do we even need regional pre-shows on tv? It can be exclusive to Hotstar. They got regional GECs. Why not use them as it's for entertainment purposes? How many Indians does even care about expert analysis? Regional channels would've made sense if they actually covered regional sports as well. They are launching multiple sports for the sake of launching more sports channels. Sony airs Cricket, WWE, UFC and Champions League in Hindi and regional languages. When did you watch any Premier League Match in Tamil or Telegu?

Pre, Post match cricket shows regularly enter top 5 list. Also be it or sony or star/disney they r continuosly expanding regional language coverage of major or smaller events. Sony can afford to invest more in this as its cricket investment is far less

Regional sports channels in key markets r much needed.... Audio feeds cannot b sufficient to meet the requirements. Local ads, shows, graphics all r incorporated in these chs. Tamil, Kannada, Malyalam, Hindi and to some extent even Telugu, Marathi r part of key markets with sizeable viewership.... These focus areas have varying scope in diff genres be it sports, infotainment or kids.
Also just to let u know Star Utsav Movies was launched when star india was run by Fox and it is currently no. 1 FTA hindi movie ch and even in pay markets it is doing quite good hence enters top 5 overall list almost every week
There has to be content in large quantity first to simulcast. I rather have them use the money required for running channels to acquire rights of sporting events like La Liga, Bundesliga, AEW etc. on existing channels which airs highlights when Sony and Eurosport is offering something fresh. Meanwhile they should use regional movie channels to air IPL instead of launching seperate channels. Too many channels airing repeats most of the year is wastage of bandwidth.

I think Sony is now in a position to have regional commentary for all sports. They have recently started to offer commentary in multiple language. Earlier they use to experiment and leave. Let's see whether they will expand their commentar to other sports post Olympics.

Yeah, I accept those cricketing tournaments and those India specific events like ISL airs in regional channels. That's it though. Channel becomes a re-run channel when local live events are gone. I have never seen PL air on SS1 Bangla. Did they air every week or select match? And about Star Sports 1 Bangla. Most IPL matches were skipped. Only opening, semi final and final were aired in Bengali.

It is about balancing content. Reruns of Premier League, ISL won't bring in revenue while cricket does. About Star Sports Bangla it has not clicked and may shut down as many esteemed members have pointed out before me

Pre, Post match cricket shows regularly enter top 5 list. Also be it or sony or star/disney they r continuosly expanding regional language coverage of major or smaller events. Sony can afford to invest more in this as its cricket investment is far less
At first I don't trust BARC's rating system. Sampling size is too small. I have stopped trusting their ratings since late last year when you know what had happened. Second it's no longer relevant to me. When ratings are no longer accessible to non subscribed users at a month when Sony is dominating the sports space. It's gone the week Euro 2020 and Copa 2021 started. I do not think pre-shows draws most audience as these shows are tolerable at all.

Edit - Sony during IPL use to have amazing pre-show. Star's IPL's pre-show is boring. Mix of bollywood, comedy and experts analysis. I get that people still tune in to watch the toss. Maybe that draws ratings.

Last edited:
At first I don't trust BARC's rating system. Sampling size is too small. I have stopped trusting their ratings since late last year when you know what had happened. Second it's no longer relevant to me. When ratings are no longer accessible to non subscribed users at a month when Sony is dominating the sports space. It's gone the week Euro 2020 and Copa 2021 started. I do not think pre-shows draws most audience as these shows are tolerable at all.

Edit - Sony during IPL use to have amazing pre-show. Star's IPL's pre-show is boring. Mix of bollywood, comedy and experts analysis. I get that people still tune in to watch the toss. Maybe that draws ratings.
We are missing vintage Sony's IPL. Star after buying the rights of IPL they made preshows rubbish. And their IPL theme songs are worst in IPL history. Sony's IPL theme songs are best

We are missing vintage Sony's IPL. Star after buying the rights of IPL they made preshows rubbish. And their IPL theme songs are worst in IPL history. Sony's IPL theme songs are best
Let’s revisit Extraaa Innings T20, Sony’s IPL pre-match show.
  1. 2008: Karo Ya Maro
  2. 2009: Ek Desh Ek Junoon
  3. 2010: Laut Aaya
  4. 2011: Dum Lagake Maara Re
  5. 2012: Aisa Mauka Aur Kahan Milega
  6. 2013: Sirf Dekhneka Nahi
  7. 2014: Come On Bulaava Aaya Hai
  8. 2015: India Ka Tyohaar
  9. 2016: Ek India Happywala
  10. 2017: Dus Saal Aapke Naam

Missing Sony's IPL extra innings T20

While reading this post, Old BGMs are playing in my mind

True. A sample must be collected with atleast 10% of population.
Keeping in mind as said by broadcast authority there are 900million households with tv in India. 10% of it must be 90million samples but it's not even 1 million.
BARC is expecting to get accurate result with 40k+ samples which will dwarf in front of this huge population.
They must immediately change their samples or pack their bags

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock