DTH updates Tata Play Removed Hindi GEC "Atrangii" From Its DTH Platform

One can complaint if an operator is just adding FTA channels and not adding other popular/ important channels but if they r adding both type of channels and providing overall good service then we should not be irritated with FTA channels.
Maybe this issue is more relevant to Airtel Digital TV, since I often see complaints in the Airtel forum that only carriage fee channels are added instead of pending channels. Of course, as an Airtel expert you are very well versed with why certain operators are not adding certain channels, and it is not fair to always put the blame on the DTH operator.

As always, you are the expert on how tariffs and revenue work in the DTH sector, and as you have said it can come from various ways as the platform sees fit. I rest my case here.

Last edited:
On a side note, I always wondered why tataplay not adding &xplore HD and similarly why airtel not adding mtv beats HD 🤔

Tata Play needs to alter its policy/ strategy to adapt to new media / dth industry regulations / landscape. Not only it has to lower carriage fee but also be more receptive to adding more carriage fee channels as well as add more home channels to air teleshopping ads. It needs to shed its premium outlook which it still tries to maintain.
This is one of the only things they are maintaining high standards, don't need useless home channels and other stuff in the EPG or between real channels. Already we are feeling service deterioration due to price reductions here and there. Being Premium is their USP (unique selling point), losing it would be more harmful.

On a side note, I always wondered why tataplay not adding &xplore HD and similarly why airtel not adding mtv beats HD 🤔
It is discussed many times, broadcaster has poor distribution for any channel because either it wants to keep it exclusive to a service provider with a deal from them or that channel is not a priority for the broadcaster to expand on other platforms, maybe they first want to analyse demand before approving further expenses. Channels slowly get shut down without reaching wider audience if demand isn't enough.

Bro these channels exist for years! I think mtv beats HD recently celebrated 5th anniversary
MTV Beats HD is available on several platforms bro, carriage fee issue probably with ADTV (2nd option of being lower priority). While &xplor HD was launched in 2019 and still only available on Airtel.

Maybe this issue is more relevant to Airtel Digital TV, since I often see complaints in the Airtel forum that only carriage fee channels are added instead of pending channels. Of course, as an Airtel expert you are very well versed with why certain operators are not adding certain channels, and it is not fair to always put the blame on the DTH operator.

As always, you are the expert on how tariffs and revenue work in the DTH sector, and as you have said it can come from various ways as the platform sees fit. I rest my case here.

Those complaints often lack substance as they just see one side of spectrum... If airtel digital tv is adding FTA popular as well as regular channels then they r also continuously adding popular pay tv channels. Airtel Digital TV has almost all popular SD and HD channels, few r pending which will b added shortly. Certain channels like Sports18 HD, Sony Ten 4 HD, ETV Cinema HD, ETV Bal Bharat HD, Star Kiran HD, Pravah Picture HD still not available across most of the platforms and airtel digital tv can't be specifically criticised for it... Above all these channels r not getting added bcoz these r not part of current RIO in circulation / implementation by various broadcasters hence if operators get carriage fee then channels will get added and broadcasters ain't willing to spend such huge amount for placing the channels on various platforms .

Yes dada, revenue generation is extremely crucial for operators and in current situation it is essential that ad/carriage fee income stands good so nothing wrong if more FTA or home channels r added. Gone r the days when operators like Tata Play would manage to earn good revenue / profit even by avoiding many carriage fee channels and not adding more home channels for airing teleshopping ads ..... That revenue model does not apply in current situation as i have explained before in detail

This is one of the only things they are maintaining high standards, don't need useless home channels and other stuff in the EPG or between real channels. Already we are feeling service deterioration due to price reductions here and there. Being Premium is their USP (unique selling point), losing it would be more harmful.

But they cannot afford to do so anymore. Earlier pre 2019 scenario does not hold true today. Whole system / landscape has changed so Tata Play would have no option but to add more carriage fee channels and more home channels to air teleshopping ads so that good revenue can b earned... If not they will find it hard to sustain or remain financially viable. Id they ask for more carriage fee from select FTA channels available on their platform, they will prefer exiting... Similarly they cannot hike regular ad rates. If they want to reduce churn of Niche Subscribers as well as regular subscribers then there is no option but to provide channels at lower cost other wise shift towards OTT and DD Free Dish will continue at great pace.

If they maintain the "standard" u r expecting of them then they will lose out on money. Even if they charge full NCF and keep 20% of subscription charge of channels subscribed by channel still that won't suffice to run a viable business. They will keep losing subscribers and increasing charges will further accelerate this process. Already u r seeing that they have increased minimum recharge amount so that their ARPU can b increased but all this will prove futile and is not the solution.

MTV Beats HD is available on several platforms bro, carriage fee issue probably with ADTV (2nd option of being lower priority). While &xplor HD was launched in 2019 and still only available on Airtel.

There is no carriage fee issue regarding 4 Viacom18 HD channels not getting added on airtel digital tv nor is it that airtel does not want to add it. It is most likely RIO related issue, they have signed RIO agreement with various broadcasters and cannot alter channel placement of channels till its expiry. If airtel digital tv adds MTV HD, MTV Beats HD, CNBC Prime HD, Vh1 HD then it would require changes in order of channels across different genres to meet the requirements of RIO which is not possible right now. In September most probably airtel digital tv will renew RIO with various broadcasters as well as implement 4 digit lcn and add these and other channels on the platform. Till then they have an understanding with viacom18/indiacast wherein in respective HD Bouquets which includes these channels, they have temporarily replaced the HD Feed with its SD counterpart and providing same to subscribers

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock