Discussion Tata Sky 4K Shutdown??

Yes. Tata is fooling 4K subscriber.. it's time to move another provider (Airtel or Videocon)
No DTH has had a single 4K channel since the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the latest. DTHs are least bothered about 4K channels now. Instead the major application of 4K is streaming Netflix, Prime Video, etc. in 4K. This is the reason people are buying 4K TVs and Binge+/Xstream boxes in large numbers even during the lockdown.

well live in a country where digital satellite tv itself is big thing, i also was shocked to see how many people are still stuck in 576i channels. no one cares about resolution. So there is no point for 4k,
solution is to buy more sat. bandwidth for 2-3 4k (32-48mhz) channels and broadcast in h.265 compression. so it will not affect the bread and butter 576i customers in india
it will at least attract more binge+ customer and justify 6.4k cost paid by 4k stb customers

well live in a country where digital satellite tv itself is big thing, i also was shocked to see how many people are still stuck in 576i channels. no one cares about resolution. So there is no point for 4k,
solution is to buy more sat. bandwidth for 2-3 4k (32-48mhz) channels and broadcast in h.265 compression. so it will not affect the bread and butter 576i customers in india
it will at least attract more binge+ customer and justify 6.4k cost paid by 4k stb customers

Yes buddy, still majority of people have SD connection and ARPU is quite low so operators have to cater to their needs as well as look for niche audience demands. Problem is that 4K requires huge investment and it is not financially viable bcoz of uncertainty in what one would earn.
In age of internet, ott now operators have hybrid boxes thru which one can access 4k or all other content online. 4K chs were a non starter and slowly u will see even regular sd, hd chs shutting down bcoz of online access. DTH or Cable Operators will have reinvent to b profitable as tv audience will mainly consist of older regular audience which will not b willing to pay more. Adopting HEVC for sd, hd chs is costly as it requires upgradation of hardware and other things, customers won't b ready to pay to change box

there's no 4K channel given in the tatasky service. infact, there's no 4K satrellite channel operating in the country. travelXP 4K is reported to be launched soon, but its availability on a DTH is not clear
Let the DTH carry all SD/HD channels first.The concept of must carry should come and the carriage fees along with the whole system in place needs relook.

Yes buddy, still majority of people have SD connection and ARPU is quite low so operators have to cater to their needs as well as look for niche audience demands. Problem is that 4K requires huge investment and it is not financially viable bcoz of uncertainty in what one would earn.
In age of internet, ott now operators have hybrid boxes thru which one can access 4k or all other content online. 4K chs were a non starter and slowly u will see even regular sd, hd chs shutting down bcoz of online access. DTH or Cable Operators will have reinvent to b profitable as tv audience will mainly consist of older regular audience which will not b willing to pay more. Adopting HEVC for sd, hd chs is costly as it requires upgradation of hardware and other things, customers won't b ready to pay to change box
4k broadcasting for 1 or 2 channels are not that expensive (as star and sony already have rights to 4k sports content like F1, EPL, Tokyo2020/1, SERIEA, CL, NBA, ufc)
Normal 1080i Channels are 7-8 mhz so 16 mhz is no big deal.
AN EXAMPLE They can remove Colors +1 and Zee +1 then
16 mhz can be allocated for 1 channel 4k50i hevc (for sports), that itself can attract more binge+ subscribers and justify 4kstb users from 2015
They are just waiting for customer base i guess now
Sports channels can only save DTH industry as it is LIVE and require high Bandwidth in 50fps, otherwise it is doomed in 10-15 years when 5g reaches remote places

Last edited:
2016 was the last 4k transmission by SONY | Tatasky an historical event in indian DTH history after that final of Copa America 27th June -2016 (5 years 10 days) we the 4K fan are starving for some 4k content for our heavily invested 4k gadgets.
43 million viewed EURO 2020 in INDIA alone - our DTH industry is hopeless

Last edited:
2016 was the last 4k transmission by SONY | Tatasky an historical event in indian DTH history after that final of Copa America 27th June -2016 (5 years 10 days) we the 4K fan are starving for some 4k content for our heavily invested 4k gadgets.
43 million viewed EURO 2020 in INDIA alone - our DTH industry is hopeless
Travel XP 4K HDR channel test slot is there in Tatasky for the past 1 month, dont know when they r gonna start that channel. This Travelxp 4K channel is already added in Tatasky android app (IPTV/OTT)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock